Welcome To The Jungle...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Glad your plants arrived ok, get up some more pics when the water has cleared, looks like a little jungle tho. :good:

Glad your plants arrived ok, get up some more pics when the water has cleared, looks like a little jungle tho. :good:

So am I! I added the accu-clear just 5 mins ago so I will give it time to work and in the mean time wait for my camera to charge so I can get a decent pic either before I turn the lights out in an hour or tomorrow before the water change.
Yeah it does look like a jungle, i'm quite liking it now actually :lol:

Absolutely brilliant. very nice indeed! :)

Thankyou :lol: I get butterflies when I see a reply in case someone tells me it looks rubbish! I honestly thought that's what you had put lol!
I get a worse pic with the camera. The blue light in the tank is the problem, I don't have a fancy camera, it's just a little pink sony cybershot and I don't mess with the settings just in case I mess it up. The tank water is clear but the lighting is ridiculous but of course when I turn the tank light off you can't see anything :rolleyes: will try again tomorrow after the water change. I need to get the ammonia down asap. The last time I had an ammonia spike was in the old tank and I put the ammonia remover in and it worked a treat. It's since went in the bucket as I need to do things properly I made the choice to have a tank so I need to make the commitment to keep up the maintenence. Proper water changes will hopefully bring this ammonia down. It's still sitting at 0.5 :crazy:
I don't know where to put the slate now :( I might just leave it out, there's too much going on in there at the moment!

Really? even though I did one this morning? I will go get the bucket. How much shall I do? 50%? Thanks

If your test kit is correct and the ammonia really is 0.5 then i would be wanting to do at least a 50-60% water change. :crazy:

That should lower it to 0.25 in theory, and with the extra plants that should look after them until tomorrow, then do another one.

What is causing the ammonia do you think?

I added neons to the tank yesterday or the day before I can't remember and that's when I noticed the ammonia was high. I was told by the guy in the shop that it would spike after adding the fish and not to do a water change until the next day so I don't stress them so I did the change yesterday and today and just now I took the water right down to a few inches left. Unfortunately another dead neon. He was very washed out looking which was weird, really white. The rest of them love when I change the water they all come out to under the bubbles and start zipping about. I'm about to test my water just now. I use the API kit. Will be back shortly with the result.

Ammonia will be more stressful than a water change if done right.

Sounds like you have done a good percentage anyway.

Neons are very susceptable (sp?) to water quality and ofter just die off for apparently no reason. Google neon tetra disease.

keep an eye on the red plants Ny, they will melt and loose their leaves without C02...just keep your eye on them. They will get used to there submersed surroundings though, you may need to chop the tops off and re plant them.

Ammonia will be more stressful than a water change if done right.

Sounds like you have done a good percentage anyway.

Neons are very susceptable (sp?) to water quality and ofter just die off for apparently no reason. Google neon tetra disease.

Marvellous. I only have 5 left and the biggest one-about an inch long is doing that floaty thing. It's so hard. I hope the platinum tetras are still ok, there's only 4 left from the original 6 I put in a month ago. I would have gotten the tiny chilli rasboras but can't get them anywhere here and I was told they are quite skitty so wouldn't be good with my gourami. What can I do. It's so disheartening :sad:
Oh I forgot to add the ammonia is about 0.25 now would you say?
IMAG1966.jpg

keep an eye on the red plants Ny, they will melt and loose their leaves without C02...just keep your eye on them. They will get used to there submersed surroundings though, you may need to chop the tops off and re plant them.
Thanks for the advice, I noticed it with the red cabomba I had in the old tank, it flowered then went brown :blink: The plants in the old tank were doing a lot better than the ones in here I hope these don't go brown. What do I need if I was to get c02? I don't think it's a good idea for someone like me to go messing about with stuff like that though. I can't even keep my fish alive :sad:

That path won't be a problem for the Corys. If it does injure them they will soon learn to 'snuffle' in other areas. As long as there is a nice area of sand in there they will always head there to feed first.

In mine I can hear them moving gravel around all day long, Only sand along the front but their barbels are like a Victorian handlebar moustache champion :)

Like the tank. Can't beat a nice planted tank with Cory's in it.

As for the Ph problem I would investigate what is causing it rather than keep on countering it. If you can diagnose the problem then you can eradicate it. If you don't then you have to continue 'treating it'.

On the ammonia front. I would doubt it is you 'overfeeding' them. What I do notice is you like to fiddle ;) You have moved a lot of stuff around quite often and substrates will harbour ammonia. That is fine because plants will use it and it is in the substrate however every time you 'fiddle' you are releasing lots of stuff into the water. ALWAYS do a heavy water change (50%+) after a fiddle. Don't be scared to do a couple a day

As for the stress of water changes the above poster is right. Water changes are not a problem. I do 50% straight from the tap (not trying to math temps) and the water drops from 26 to 22 ish. The Corys go Bananas. Like us humans the cold weather makes them frisky ;)

Keep up the good work.

Andy

Thanks Andy, that paths long gone since the cory section told me i'd injure them when I put up pics to identify mine. The PH has been a greeny blue colour now for a while. I am glad it's stable. I think the shells helped. Aww lol the corys come out to play when I do water changes, I turn the heater off so it doesn't steam and hiss. When I pour the water in I have it lukewarm but they still all come out under the bubbles. I have a male bronze, 2 female (I think-they are very round)sodalis and 2 male (I think) ambiacus. I can't tell that well but no friskiness for them haha!

I had actually just came on here to say that's another neon tetra dead :crazy: I don't know what's going on but I started with 9 I now have 4. They seem to be going white and look kind of bent if that makes sense. Does that make sense? The blue neon bit doesn't look straight it looks bent. Maybe i'm too tired and my eyes are going funny but I don't know what's going on, they were happily eating an algae wafer last night and peas today. I am just at the point where I want to pack it all in, but I have spent far too much money esp on fish that die.
When I fist started the hobby I had beautiful guppies, I added 2 endlers and within hours everything in the tank died. about a month ago I added 6 platinum tetras. I tested the water the same night expecting a spike but oddly-the stats were fine. One of them died that night, the other the next morning. A week later I added 2 peppered corys from pets at home. My stats after adding them were fine. The female gold gourami who I have since rehomed, turned on one of them and kept going after it and killed it. It had flesh wounds all over it. Very out of character for her, but she then turned on my male gold gourami who is only small. The other cory couldn't sit on the gravel, kept floating up. I was advised about swim bladder treatment but needless to say it was too late. I then noticed how red the gills were, but there was no ammonia or nitrites in the water so was advised about gill flukes so in a panic I treated the whole tank on the 5 day course. Now the tetras. I am just so fed up. Maybe my tanks over crowded and they are dying with stress? Who knows. Who knows if there will be any left in 6 hours when I wake up. I am going to end up with my 5 corys, my male gold gourami and my 4 danios left and even at that I am probably going to have to rehome my gourami if he gets too big for my tank :sad:
Ah well. Night night x

Hi just another update. Sorry about the rant last night/this morning, just feeling so defeated.
I did a water change this morning and...

Ta-da :hyper:
IMAG1969-1.jpg

Still got 4 neon tetras this morning. Fed the guys peas again this morning, the danios are zipping about with all their fins extended. Their fins are starting to colour up yellow too and they have a brilliant sheen.

IMAG1980-1.jpg

and of course the full tank shot once the water had settled.
IMAG1977.jpg

IMAG1979.jpg

IMAG1982-1.jpg

Gourami enjoying the plants
IMAG1978.jpg

Most reactions

Back