Weird I Got 2!

fishman1981

New Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Me and my wife got home today from a 3 day vacation at my parents, when i get home i go straight to my fish tanks and see whats going on and all i also have a painted turtle in a tank.
Well any ways my wife goes to clean the painted turtle tank and screams from the other room that there is a weird rock inside the tank i go to check and its an egg 2 minutes ltr theres another one.

My question is has anyone ever had a turtle give birth and the eggs survive? if so what do i have to do?
I have both eggs in a 5g with dirt and a heater,light and the dirt is moist. :drool:
 
I could see them being fertile if you just recently got the turtle, but if not... I just pictured that cadbury commercial of the turtle with bunny ears...
 
its just really weird because i just got it like 2 months ago, i didnt know she was prego until i looked at the eggs. 1 egg has like veins on it the other is just regular white.
 
depends on the breed of turtle i know some turles lay eggs within 4 weeks of mating
you would have to look up the specific breed characteristics
 
Try "candling" the eggs with a torch (flashlight).

I did think that turtles lay eggs in soil above water level... She may not have had that option I guess.

Research the breed and see how they reproduce. Find out quick tho coz you may have little live eggs drowning at the moment. (shells breathe air!)
 
i took the eggs out and i put it in a 5g tank with some dirt and the dirt is moist, i read about how to hatch the eggs But wow it takes almost 72 days for them to hatch so i would say i have around lol 71 days left to see if there alive or not. :crazy:
 
You should be able to tell if they are fertile by day 5 or 6 by setting them on top a flashlight. If you see a dark spec inside, they are fertile. If it just looks clear, they are not.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top