Weather Loach Fry Journal

Certainly a shock for me I can tell you, I didnt plan on breeding them but I am so pleased they did. I cannot get over the difference in colours and patterns of the fry, one has now turned brown the spitting image of its father, sadly none are pure gold like their mother, but a couple of pale silver ones that are stunning. The moss has grown crazy in the tank and they love nothing more than wrigging into a clump and turning round and round until they mould a little hole then fall asleep in it. Never seen this "nest building" behaviour before

Spotted a tiny fish in the tank today, shocked, but I have no idea if its another weather loach spawning or the WCMM as they have been in and out the java moss. It was only about 3mm long and soon vanished into the plants. Another wait and see if it grows up!

Some up to date pics, I can hardly call them babies now!

012-38.jpg

014-38.jpg

015-32.jpg

016-19.jpg

018-12.jpg

Can you see the hillstream loach??? :)
019-14.jpg

Tank

035-7.jpg

037-6.jpg

Blimey, they've grown some, haven't they?!

:) Not suprised, they eat anything!! lol I am very proud of this little gang, my greatest achievement in breeding.

Doing a check this morning and I spotted one of the babies looking smaller than the others :( so I did the head count 123....456....789...10 hu!! counted again and got 10 again, the smaller one is obviously a newby :) I thought I saw something a few weeks back in the dense java moss but couldnt be sure, but this one was lined up with the others this morning waiting for breakfast :)

UPDATE:  Two years on (wow was it really that long ago!!) and the fry are all grown up and it appears that being bred in a tank gives them no problems with being willing to spawn, I had 3 fry survive from last year and spotted another small baby in the tank. I now have no idea how many weather loach are in the tank, without taking it completely apart and raking through the sand to try and count them all!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back