Ways to bring down nitrite?

FrAnK3333

Fish Herder
Reaction score
ive been doing water changes, 25-30%, for the last 5 days and my nitrite is going down but i want it at 0. currently it is a .5 ppm a huge improvement from 5 ppm, 5 days ago.

Sounds like your tank is being cycled. Keep doing the water changes to keep nitrite levels as low as you can. It will probably take two weeks for it to level down to zero.

Looking at your sig, you have some sensitive fishes - they especially don't do well in water with ammonia or nitrite.... If I were you, I'd keep up with frequent water changes...

any more ways , i guess ill do water changes but im getting tired of it! but it has to be done. anything for my rams :D

Sorry, but water changes and time are the only way to cycle a tank and get nitrite levels stable at 0. As yhbae notes, you have sensitive fish. I would keep up with the daily 25% water changes until nitrite is testing below .25, then water changes as often as needed to keep it below .25 until the nitrites go down to 0 on their own. This could take some time. Had you fishless cycled... well, I won't preach.

Good luck with the rams. They sound great. :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back