Water mites in Betta tanks?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Silvermist80

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, hope this is the right subject. I have a Betta setup with private sections that I connected together using bridging. I went to clean it day before yesterday and there were thousands of these tiny bugs swimming around. I didnt add anything new. They were not on the fish and didn't seem to be bugging them. I set out to kill them because they were everywhere and didnt know what they were. They turned out to be very difficult to kill. Hot water didnt do it, so i broke out the bleach. I wound up having to do quite a lot of bleach and it still took probably 10 min for them to die. They also spread to my 2.5g hospital tanks. I siphoned them down to almost nothing, then added tap water. I left chlorine in the tap water, hope it kills them. Has anyone else seen or experienced these? Thanks!

Do you got photos of it?

Could be cyclops or similar, though water mites exist and the little buggers ARE hard to kill lol

Could be planeria possibly?

A photo or two as NCaquatics mentioned earlier would be much more useful to try and identify these bugs, you don’t mention what colour these bugs are either.

Photos (as mentioned above) will help us ID this pest.

Do you got photos of it?

Could be cyclops or similar, though water mites exist and the little buggers ARE hard to kill lol

Forgot to mention, I *tried* to get a picture. I'll post the only one I got, but it sucks. The one with the arrow is more of an adult, the little blurs are the tiny ones, I think babies?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200914-100835_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200914-100835_Photos.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 150
Did they look like these?
20200706_212736.jpg
20200718_125428.jpg

No, they were completely round. My boyfriend found a bigger sized one on top of the Betta tank and killed it. He said it was a little round bug also. They also zipped around in the water. When I added the bleach, they swam rapidly in circles.

So they are still swimming around in my hospital tanks. They are tiny tiny little things, my phone camera has a very hard time focusing in, but gave it a try. Again, arrows to the bigger ones, circles around super tiny ones.
Screenshot_20200914-142411_Photos.jpg
20200914_141659.jpg
20200914_141641.jpg

Definitely not planeria in that case.

mhmm, mites of some sort is what I think, could even be cyclops or something like that.

No real idea from those photos, hard to take pics of tiny things I know.

Do the fish eat them or perhaps be irritated by those things?

The Bettas seemed oblivious to them. I didnt see any on the fish themselves. I dont have fish in that tank currently, but in the Betta tanks there were tons and tons of them. They were all over my moss balls though

Interesting. I dont overfeeding the Bettas though, so that's rather odd. I give them 5 Betta Bits (little pellets) a day and that's it. My hospital tanks are totally empty of fish. Any idea how I got them? Only live plants I have are the Moss Balls.

They may have come in as hitchhikers with the moss balls.
I wouldnt worry about them. Your numbers of them don't look bad, so I dont think its an issue. Maybe just an extra thorough gravel vac job and that should be fine. They won't hurt your fish or plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back