Water hardness.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Irishlad123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got my water tested and the result is 251 mg/l for hardness can any1 make sense of this for my my ph is at 6.6 what could i keep with these parameters in a 30 gallon long tank

I just got my water tested and the result is 251 mg/l for hardness can any1 make sense of this for my my ph is at 6.6 what could i keep with these parameters in a 30 gallon long tank

Are you certain of these numbers? The GH is quite high which means a fair amount of dissolved mineral (calcium and magnesium primarily), and the pH would normally be basic (above 7.0) with all this calcium carbonate. How was the GH test done?

That makes more sense, and puts you in a better position for suitable fish. A GH of 151 ppm [mg/l is equivalent to ppm] which equates to 8 dGH (for those of us who prefer the smaller numbers!) is on the borderline of soft/medium hard. A pH below 7 is further indication of softer rather than harder so you should look at most of the South American and SE Asian species as far as water parameters are concerned; most will have no issues here. Which opens up a lot of options with a 30g long tank. I assume this length is 3 feet (90 cm)?

No its slightly smaller then 30 gallon its 80 by 35 high by 30

No its slightly smaller then 30 gallon its 80 by 35 high by 30

Still has lots of options. Many of the tetras, some of the pencilfish and hatchetfish, catfish like cories (provided a sand substrate), common whiptail, smaller pleco, rasboras, some of the smaller gouramis, dwarf cichlid pair...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back