Water Hardness

kribensis12

I know where you live
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
8,679
Reaction score
593
Points
113
Location
Peoria, Illinois
Well, several months ago( probably 5 months ago, I kept angels. They would lay fertilized egg's, but they would always go bad( even though the female was CONSTANTLY fanning them. Well, I have extremely hard water, with a pH of 8.4 . But, I would like to try angels again. Is there anyway I can lower my hardness? I run peat in one of my tanks, with almost no difference. I run bogwood in all my tanks, I've also tried pH reducing chemicals, but the pH always bounces back up in a couple of hours. Any idea's?
 
Whats the ph of the rainwater in your area? If it is low you could mix this in with tap water when you do water changes.

If you do this remember to have new carbon in he filter to remove any pollutants from the rain water
 
I'll check. It supposed to sprinkle today. I'll take a sample. I need to purchase some carbon, and filter it before I add it.
 
What gravel/sand/rocks do you have in the tank and how many?
 
I have about 2 and a half inches of gravel in all my tanks( except for my newest one, didnt buy enough). In the tank I want to put angels in, I have ALOT of slate rock( my labs live in there, they need to hide). That's it. My pH and hardness are naturally like that, striaght outta the tap.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top