Water Flow

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Morri

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I currently have a MJ 1200 and a Korialla 2 in my 130l TL550 my nitrates are still higher than I would like 10-15 would increasing the flow behind my rocks help if I add a nano pump?

I have added new chaeto as my last lot was nt doing to well (got from a diffrent LFS)

It seems like you have adequate flow. I'd do some water changes to get nitrates down.

How old is your tank? If it is cycling/just finished cycling, definitely do some water changes.

Are you running a skimmer? If not, you will need to do more water changes, because alot of protein waste will be left in the tank and turn to ammonia>nitrite>nitrate. What are your other tank parameters?

Do you have (or plan on having) corals (if so what corals)? Nitrates are pretty harmless to fish unless it gets up to the hundreds.

Have loads of Zoas some LPS all are healthy nitrates are only 15 just before water change would like to get them to zero but may not be pratical.

15 is completely harmless to what you have in your tank. And no, raising flow would not help with the nitrate, and most LPS (not all) like a lower flow, zoas do well practically anywhere.

Are you using RO water?

Jtnova has some unanswered questions, dont forget about him/her ;)

How often are you feeding?

At the moment there is little to worry about, if it keeps going up and doesnt come down even with water changes, then you may want to look into ways of lowering it (less feeding, carbon source dosing (sugar, vinegar, vodka), refugium, remote deep sand bed etc.

How much of a water change are you doing every week? I used to change 25 litres a week.

However as Musho said ( and this is starting to become a habit, me agreeing with Musho) the level is not a serious concern

Seffiex

:fish:

about 2 x 8L changes a week which is somewhere between 12 and 15%

about 2 x 8L changes a week which is somewhere between 12 and 15%

try changing a bit more :good:

Seffie x

Hmm, while this wont hurt at all and will actually be quite beneficial, i dont think this is necessary (sorry seffie, thanks for agreeing with me on somethings!). I change my water 20% bi-monthly and i have near 0 nitrate. I think twice weekly is enough.

Hmm, while this wont hurt at all and will actually be quite beneficial, i dont think this is necessary (sorry seffie, thanks for agreeing with me on somethings!). I change my water 20% bi-monthly and i have near 0 nitrate. I think twice weekly is enough.

:lol: we can't agree on everything, would be very boring :good:

I suppose I am just using my own experience, 25 litres or so a week kept everything running along smoothly - also have Ski's words ringing in my ear, that much below that is not so benefical (I am of course talking about a nano)

Seffie x

you would only stuggle with keeping SPS with nitrates at that level.

Obviously the lower the better.

whats your maintainance and feeding regime like?

Water changes twice a week I suspect the sun coral feeding might be an issue might be tempted to try a Nitrate scrubber to try to get to 0 a few times a week

Water changes twice a week I suspect the sun coral feeding might be an issue might be tempted to try a Nitrate scrubber to try to get to 0 a few times a week

No, really its nothing to worry about, dont buy snake oil products or expensive products for things that just isnt a problem.

Most reactions

Back