Water conditions and what new world cichlids

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Well I’m guessing this is good news. My tank water that hasn’t been changed in a week and a half or so has dead on 25GH, 120KH, 7.8 ph. Well according to the test kit

We still need to know the levels for your source water on its own. Test the tap water and post the results. Remember to out-gas CO2 for the pH, not needed for GH and KH.

Any tetra that can handle this or maybe rasbora?

Yes, several. Let's get the source water pinned down first.

We still need to know the levels for your source water on its own. Test the tap water and post the results. Remember to out-gas CO2 for the pH, not needed for GH and KH.

Yes, several. Let's get the source water pinned down first.

Ok I did the test on straight tap water but not after gassing it off. I’ll do that later today.

Allowing tap water to stand for 24 hours might cause the pH to change but should not affect the GH.
When water is under pressure (like when it's in the pipes), the dissolved gasses in it can be forced out and you end up with less oxygen, nitrogen or carbon dioxide. This can cause the pH to read one thing when it's straight out of the tap, but if you leave it for 24 hours, the dissolved gasses stabilise and the pH can change. It normally goes up a little bit but not always.

Results are the same
Water out of tap
Tap gasses off
Water set for 24 hours
GH 25
KH at least 300
PH at least 8.4

Only difference was the GH was somewhat higher.

Attachments

• 1190CAC4-E793-48A2-9913-E477C949221F.jpeg
    1190CAC4-E793-48A2-9913-E477C949221F.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back