water changing help pls

F

fish&chips

hi all again i need to do water change soon and i thought by leaving water in bottle
would help to destill the water and get chalk to the bottom of the bottle (use stocking to then filter it )

is this a mad idea or good pls let me now

i have 4 2 ltr bottles of water i left in buckets for 2days then put into bottles for 3 days :thumbs: :sad:

Is the chalk actually in suspension in the water? If its dissolved then leaving it in a bottle won't cause to come out of suspension. I must admit I use a dechlorination liquid but thats only 'cos I'm too impatient (and don't think far enough ahead) to wait the chlorine to disperse naturally. I usually put about 10 litres of water in a bucket add the reagent followed by a kettle of boiling water to bring the temperature up. I then leave the bucket for a couple of hours for the temperature to settle and any more chlorine to flash off.

Just siphon the water off then with a little pump I've got that fits on a drill. Not sure what the best way to remove chalk at home is, I expect that there is something at the lfs to do this.

If you think far enough ahead though leaving the water in a bucket for a few days works well in getting rid of chlorine.

hm lil confused still lol

well in my area we have pretty chalky water nr the sea
so i thought by leaveing water for around 5days will help most chalk at mo kinda sunk to bottom

so will leave cpl more days thats around 6 days 1-2 in bucket 4 in bottle

then i thought ide use mums tights lol to filter the water when pooring from bottle to bucket slowy take the chalk from bottom out

and leave in my bedroom to warm up to room temp

(surely this is better then straight tapewater or am i wasteing my time being stupid let me know thanks

Do not use straight tap water as the chlorine in it will kill your fish. If you don't want to wait for your water to dechlorinate naturally, then buy some water conditioner from your LFS which will remove the chlorine and any other nasties from it, then it is safe to put in your tank. :)

hmmm, the only thing I've that tights are good for is filtering sloes out of sloe gin :p

Thing is that unless the water is cloudy with chalk it won't settle. Chalk is bacically Calcium carbonate so will be broken down into molecules instead of a fine powder. Again I'm not sure how the fish will respond so don't know if it needs to be removed chemically or not.

well i have to say normally when having a straight glass water
its cloudy

now the water in bottle s look very clear compared

I FORGOT TO SAY I BOILD THE WATER 1ST
then left to cool in bucket for 2 days then put into bottles

how long leaving in natrualy will get rid of the chalk

and to the conditioner i use wardley water care dontionare for slim oders and other stuff

1 more thing guys my water care says 1 drop per gallon i have no clue wot a gallon is to treat the water 1st b4 putting into tank

the only way i can do it place water in tank then add the drops is this ok

also the water was cloudy with chalk when 1st ran after cpl days in bucket i could see the chalk had settled

now in bottle i can no longer see any chalk

looks desteald and very clear

About leaving the water to dechlorinate ..... that will remove the chlorine but not the chloramine.

Dont know about getting rid of the chalk. I would have said try Alum, but dont know its effects on fish. :D

pls cheek my thread in begginers qeustrions

on how you all water change pls leave sum info

then if goes wrong ill blame you !! jokes hehe :grr:

DONT USE BOILED WATER FOR DOING WATER CHANGES!!! :eek: Boiling the water leaves it too sterile for your fish to live in it. If your tapwater is of inferior quallity to add to your tank then use RO water which you can buy from good LFS for around 12 pence a litre, for a small aditional charge most will add the minerals back in for you too (if they wont you will have to buy some RO right and add them back yourself). Water from chalky areas is usually too hard for using with normal community fish and is better suited for keeping African rift valley cichlids .

crap so wot THRO the water away start again

if i fill 3 buckets up with water leave them for 3-4 days the chalk should be gone

then ill add that this time with water care .........

if no good ill buy the ro ...i may even go buy it wots 12p ill need around 10 14 ltires thats 1.80 its nothing for a fishes life really

Most reactions

Back