Water Changes...

Rachel.K

Reaction score
I was just wondeirng how you are supposed change the water do you change all of it?
I also didn't know weather or not to leave the gravel or to try and clean it? I haven't got a water testing kit either would this be a good idea?

You'll need to change 10% every week when your tank has cycled. Buy a gravel vac and it will clean the gravel while syphoning out water. Then replace what you removed with fresh dechlorinated water of the same temp.

If you cycle with fish you'll need to do more than this to keep the levels of Ammonia & Nitrite low, read through the articles on cycling on this forum, theres lot of information on it.

And yes, you need a test kit, or you could make regular trips to your LFS for testing if they don't mind.

All depends on the size of tank really....if it is a small tank, such as a bowl, then I would change it all, due to the lack of filtration and all....assuming you have a betta in it. -_- If it is a community and has all of the fishtank accessories (filter, heater and such) then you may want to buy a syphon, with a gravel cleaner on the end of it, available at pretty much any lfs....change anywhere from 20-50% of the water each week, same temp returned to the tank of course and get a water conditioner as well, something like Aquaplus, Stresscoat or Seachem-Prime...I use all of these and they work well. Test kits will also be very helpful...Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte tests are an almost must. Although I have never owned a NitrAte test kit :*) . I hope I have helped and if I haven't then ask away! :D

Most people change out water once a week, and will vacuum at least half of their gravel at this time. If you have a somewhat larger tank, this can be quite a pain. I have a lot of tanks to clean every week ranging from 10 gallons to 100 gallons, and have found a Python to be quite helpful. It can also be quite expensive though depending on how much hose you need and where you get it. They are worth the money though. Lee also makes a "python" that is less expensive. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back