water changes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I change 50% of my water weekly. I went to Petco today to have my water tested. It came back 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 8 nitrate. The person testing my water said that wasn't good and was surprised my fish weren't dying. I was told not to do weekly 50% water changes but to instead do a 20% water change every 3 weeks. I was also told that I Should have "nitrites, nitrates, and all that other good stuff in my water" Is a 50% water change weekly fine for a 29 gallon? I thought so. I also know that most of the information the person gave me was false.

Last edited:
I change 50% of my water weekly. I went to Petco today to have my water tested. It came back 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 8 nitrate. The person testing my water said that wasn't good and was surprised my fish weren't dying. I was told not to do weekly 50% water changes but to instead do a 20% water change every 3 weeks. I was then told I had soft water. I asked for the numbers on my PH, GH, and KH. I was then told those are not needed to know water hardness and they didn't test them? I've had my PH, GH, and KH tested before at my LFS and I had hard water. I was also told that I Should have "nitrites, nitrates, and all that other good stuff in my water" Is a 50% water change weekly fine for a 29 gallon? I thought so. I also know that most of the information the person gave me was false.

That is a store of which I would never again walk through the door. Nothing is as important to a healthy aquarium as weekly substantial water changes; I do 70-80% of each tank once a week, and have for years.

Thanks. I started doing 75% water changes once weekly but I thought maybe it was too much so I started doing 50%. I will do 75% water changes from now on.

8 ppm nitrate is OK. Plants cannot grow with zero nitrate. That person was probably confusing nitrite with nitrate. Nitrite and ammonia are toxic and should be kept near zero. Only GH measures hardness of the water and it cannot be determined without the GH Test. GH is mainly a measure of calcium and magnesium levels in the water. Fish and plants need calcium and mgnesium to live. hard water fish need high GH and soft water fish prefer soft water. KH is carbonates which may be from calcium / magnesium carbonate or sodium / potassium carbonate. PH Tells you if the water is acidic, basic, or neutral. Generally you want the water to about neutral. A 50% water change is fine for most aquariums.

I completely agree with @StevenF. 8ppm nitrate is perfectly fine.

Never listen to a stores advice.

I do 50%+ water changes per week,

Most reactions

Back