Water Changes

LolaLouie

Fish Addict
Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Messages
792
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
London
Is it ok to do a 4% water change daily rather than a 30% weekly?
 
4% a day doesnt work out the same as the 28% a week as you would assume, it actually works out a bit less, but i dont see why it wouldnt be adequate, dependant on what you're keeping and stocking levels
 
That would be fine, Gemma, but i don't understand why you would do that?

It seems like a lot more work for no real benefit.

Also, are you aware that 7 x 4% water changes is equal to 1 x 25% change, and not 1 x 28% as you may think? It's not really an issue here but can be when talking about larger changes. For example, 2 x 50% changes is actually equal to 1 x 75% change etc etc.

I personally do 2 x 30 - 40% changes per week and it works just fine.

Cheers :good:

BTT

edit: Beat me to it, Joecoral!!
 
Thanks for the reply, the reason I ask is because I want to use water that has had peat soaking in it so that when I do my water changes it is with soft acidic water and then my pH wont fluctuate with every water change. I don't have room to store too much water so can have a max of 2 bucked (about 10 gallons) at a time. My tank is currently pH 7 (working toward 6.5) while my tap is pH 8 so if i use untreated tap water the difference is fairly large and I don't want my tank pH to go up at all.

Ok so how about 10% three times a week then? My tank is pretty heavily stocked.
 
3 x 10% changes is equal to 1 x 27% change. If your tank is quite heavily stocked as you say, this may not be sufficient. Keep an eye on nitrates, and if they start rising despite your water changes, you should increase your water change % or frequency or both. If 3 x 10% changes is enough to keep nitrates pretty constant, you should be ok.

Have you looked at something like the API Tap Water Filter rather than using peat?

Check out Ebay item 190198924580.

Cheers :good:

BTT
 
Hi,

I have seen that thing before but it works out pretty expensive with all the cartridge changes. Well I guess if necessary I could change 10% daily. I'm thinking of also getting a small canister filter (e.g. fluval 105) and filling it entirely with peat but i'm not sure 1. if that will work 2. if it would be safe or 3. whether it's worth the money.

Thanks for the advice BTT
 
Just bought myself a fluval 304 so i will have 600 litres worth of filtration on my 200 litre tank :) will have 1 litre of peat in each filter which should mean I wont have to leave it soaking in buckets :good:
 
While the topic is being discussed i would have thought that 3x 10% a week is better than 1x 27% a week?
 
no way to be honest, 4% a day, you might as well not bother honestly.

EDIT: unless you got only a few fish in a massive tank, but then again i admit i am biased, i prefer bigger water changes, and for 4% it seems almost pointless to bother with it, especially if your tank is heavy stocked as you say, if i was you i would keep a set-up that suits your tap water, then you wouldnt have this problem with the pH (or get RO)

good luck
 
Thanks, as I said I have sorted the problem (I think) I have bought a second filter so will have 600 litres worth of filtration on a 200 litre tank so that should handle the bioload.

Also I will be putting 2 litres of peat split between the 2 filters so I will no longer need to rely on buckets which have had peat soaking in them.

My problem is though I don't want to use tap water which will raise the pH each time i do a water change. Perhaps I will use 5 gallons of peat water (10%) and 5 gallons of regular water (another 10%) so I will be changing 20% weekly with high filtration and then maybe do another 10% water change with peat water mid week. I'll see how my stats are anyway. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks, as I said I have sorted the problem (I think) I have bought a second filter so will have 600 litres worth of filtration on a 200 litre tank so that should handle the bioload.

Also I will be putting 2 litres of peat split between the 2 filters so I will no longer need to rely on buckets which have had peat soaking in them.

My problem is though I don't want to use tap water which will raise the pH each time i do a water change. Perhaps I will use 5 gallons of peat water (10%) and 5 gallons of regular water (another 10%) so I will be changing 20% weekly with high filtration and then maybe do another 10% water change with peat water mid week. I'll see how my stats are anyway. Thanks for the advice!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top