Water changes during cycling.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Why is the water level so low?

...and its meant to be a fishless cycle, and that includes snails, so why have you put snails into an uncycled aquarium where they will be suffering ammonia and nitrite spiking?

PLEASE...do it PROPERLY!!!!!!!!!

No animals whatsoever and go get the ammonia. Stop cutting corners and causing animals unneccessary harm.
omg, I said, i got the snails by accident. READ! Sorry if it sounds like im being rude but when i bought my plants ther must have been snails in the tank were the plants were. He accidently gave me them. I could move them to a 3 gallon betta tank wich will soon be 5 gallons, but that bettas a killer, so not really an option. I could move the snails to a 1/2 gallon tank. Would that be an option?

omg, I said, i got the snails by accident. READ! Sorry if it sounds like im being rude but when i bought my plants ther must have been snails in the tank were the plants were. He accidently gave me them. I could move them to a 3 gallon betta tank wich will soon be 5 gallons, but that bettas a killer, so not really an option. I could move the snails to a 1/2 gallon tank. Would that be an option?
Why didn't you quarantine and treat the plants before adding them to the aquarium?

That would have prevented any snails being in the aquarium.

Do NOT get stroppy with me sunshine....you have stretched the patience of a saint thusfar with your impatience and inability to follow instructions and advice

Either do things the right way or don't do it at all and find a hobby without animals involved. Sorry but you have been an absolute nightmare from the start, you don't accept good advice from anyone, you don't follow basic instructions, you're impatient and petulant.

I have not ignored you (like you did me) cos quite frankly I am more concerned about your animals welfare than anything else.

Why didn't you quarantine and treat the plants before adding them to the aquarium?

That would have prevented any snails being in the aquarium.

Do NOT get stroppy with me sunshine....you have stretched the patience of a saint thusfar with your impatience and inability to follow instructions and advice

Either do things the right way or don't do it at all and find a hobby without animals involved. Sorry but you have been an absolute nightmare from the start, you don't accept good advice from anyone, you don't follow basic instructions, you're impatient and petulant.

I have not ignored you (like you did me) cos quite frankly I am more concerned about your animals welfare than anything else.
Remember? I promised I would follow your advice:), and I did. I did not at first, but then i did, and btw i never remember you saying to quarantine and wash the plants????. I think your taking what im saying the wrong way. I admit i was being rude on those 2 threads, but i am listening to you all now:). Should i move the snails to the 1/2 gallon, and i can follow instructions. I listened to everything you all said.

Remember? I promised I would follow your advice:), and I did. I did not at first, but then i did, and btw i never remember you saying to quarantine and wash the plants????. I think your taking what im saying the wrong way. I admit i was being rude on those 2 threads, but i am listening to you all now:). Should i move the snails to the 1/2 gallon, and i can follow instructions. I listened to everything you all said.
But you aren’t…
  • you ARE NOT using loads of fast growing plants
  • you ARE NOT using proper ammonia
  • you ARE having living things in an uncycled tank.
READ the sticky on cycling, decide which cycling process you will use and follow the *bleep* instructions TO THE LETTER

But you aren’t…
  • you ARE NOT using loads of fast growing plants
  • you ARE NOT using proper ammonia
  • you ARE having living things in an uncycled tank.
READ the sticky on cycling, decide which cycling process you will use and follow the *bleep* instructions TO THE LETTER
'Takes big sigh' My mother wont let me buy ammonia, so nothing i can do abt that. I told her 50 times to let me buy it, but she wont. Also my mother only let me get 3 plants, nothing i can do about that either. Anyway, can i put the snails in the 1/2 galllon tank :)

Trouble with not using ammonia is that you first have to grow bacteria to break down the food and poop into ammonia. That takes a few weeks, so your cycle won’t start properly for a few weeks, then it will take a few more weeks once there’s ammonia present. So adding ammonia will save you a few weeks by bypassing that first stage.
Also the heater and filter pump need to be fully submerged, so you should fill the tank up.

If you can’t add ammonia (you’ve just posted that) then just fill the tank up and wait. Check regularly for ammonia and nitrite to see where the cycle is at.

Trouble with not using ammonia is that you first have to grow bacteria to break down the food and poop into ammonia. That takes a few weeks, so your cycle won’t start properly for a few weeks, then it will take a few more weeks once there’s ammonia present. So adding ammonia will save you a few weeks by bypassing that first stage.
Also the heater and filter pump need to be fully submerged, so you should fill the tank up.
If you can’t add ammonia (you’ve just posted that) then just fill the tank up and wait. Check regularly for ammonia and nitrite to see where the cycle is at.
Ok, thankyou.

'Takes big sigh' My mother wont let me buy ammonia, so nothing i can do abt that. I told her 50 times to let me buy it, but she wont. Also my mother only let me get 3 plants, nothing i can do about that either. Anyway, can i put the snails in the 1/2 galllon tank :)
Perhaps you should get your mother to read these threads?

If you were only allowed 3 plants, you should have researched on the internet and bought three fast growing plants ( they would have probably been cheaper too).

If your mother won’t let you have the things you need to do this properly, perhaps this hobby should be put on hold until you are earning your own money and can do it properly..?

Well if mum will not allow you to get what you need, then perhaps you need to give up your aquariums and wait until you are alot older and more responsible.

I can totally understand why your mum will not allow you to have ammonia cos you cannot/will not follow instructions properly

I strongly suggest that you put the aquariums away in a cupboard, go find a less complex hobby that does not need patience and is not going to fly against your impatience...and has no live animals involved

Wait a few years til you have a place of your own and can finally learn and take the time required to do this properly cos right now, this new aquarium along with the previous ones, have been too complicated for you and you're not of the right mindset to learn due to your impatience and sorry but your immaturity is risking the lives of animals and thats not fair on them

Fishkeeping is not for everyone, it takes alot of time, patience, money and is emotionally draining and you simply cannot rush it or cut corners like you are doing.

If you were only allowed 3 plants, you should have researched on the internet and bought three fast growing plants ( they would have probably been cheaper too).
Why?

By the way, that is not a promise to me, anyone on this forum or your mum. It is a promise to the snails. That is all that matters. Remember the way you keep an animal has to be the best for the animal, so make a commitment to that creature to give it the best life you can.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back