Watching The Babies Grow Up...Bettas And Damselfly

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

three-fingers

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Whenever I see someone get worried over a damselfly nymph in their tank, I'm always jealous, because I've been specifically looking for these cool guys in the planted tanks at work for years, but to no avail.

Just my luck then, that the first time I find one...it's in my betta fry tank, munching away on my babies! :eek: :rolleyes:.

I don't mind now though, although it ate quite a lot of fry, I still have 20-30 baby bettas...and I doubt I could cope with more. Plus I got to watch the damselfly grow up after moving it over to my shrimp tank (not going to notice a few missing baby cherry shrimp lol).

Today I got the pleasant surprise of seeing the adult damsel :D. Even though its a bit sad since it's way too cold for the poor thing outside, he's stuck in my room staying around my open top planted tanks. I'll probably get some fruit flies for him tomorrow. My room is a jungle...

Anywaaaay, enough talking to myself, here's some pics :).

Tasty 3 day old betta fry:
p1100207large.jpg

Damsel as a little baby:
p1100245large.jpg

Getting bigger and more awesome looking:
p1100292large.jpg

p1100315large.jpg

All grown up:
p1100446.jpg

p1100447large.jpg

p1100453large.jpg

And the bettas are too, could nearly have him for lunch now :eek: :
p1100472large.jpg

Thanks for looking :).

You are far too lucky.

I can just imagine it not finding the fruit flies palatable, and you end up with a little swarm living in your room. :lol:

Nah, I'd just uncover (covered to save the damselfly) all my carnivorous plants and the fruit flies would be quickly gone lol :D.

absolutely awesome thread! really :) are you in US? i have a terrific ID book for dragon/damsel flies in north America.. i could try to ID him for you. its kind of a hobby of mine ;)
very beautiful pictures too.
cheers

Lovely pics :good: They are pretty little things. I always love watching them in the country park during summer time :D

Thanks guys :). Actually I'm in Scotland, though I doubt it's a native since it came on imported plants form Asia somewhere (will find out). Kind of a sad ending though, came in last night and opened my window forgetting about the damsel, looked for him when I woke up but to no avail :(.

I also have a feeling the kittens went after him, since they were both in my room when I woke up, acting very playful.

That'd be so cool to have growing up in the tank, but the exact moment it'd become airborne and out of the tank I would be screeeeeeeeamin the house down, haha! they're awesome creatures but I'd rather they be outdoors than in my room! :blush:

super photos.

How did you attach them to the thread? I've tried but my files are too large - yet those are great quality so i don't get it.

Help?!

Thanks :). I uploaded them onto another site and linked to them :good:.

I made a guide for that here: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/1680-how-to-upload-pictures/page__view__findpost__p__2232189

edit: Just remembered the forums have changed layout since I did that guide, but you follow the same steps. Click on the "insert image" button when making a post, it's 2nd to the right of the smiley face above where you type. Then you just paste the image link in.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back