Wat would be a good color pattern to mate him wit?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

if for sum reason i ended up witha pur black male or female in my spawns, the first place that baby would be goin is aquabid :D kaching lol , they are pretty rare :) do u guys have any blacks at all, full black or just have black on them?

GuppyDude said:
if for sum reason i ended up witha pur black male or female in my spawns, the first place that baby would be goin is aquabid :D kaching lol , they are pretty rare :) do u guys have any blacks at all, full black or just have black on them?
Wow that'd be cool! but I dont think many of us have pure blacks.... juiletheg8t has a pure black plakat male! yea i used to have a black male with steel blue fins but he suicided :-(

fourplayfishy said:
if only 99% of them are infertile then there has to be that 1% to keep the line going
Not necessarily. What they usually do is mix the fish with a steel colored, hence why most black bettas have a tiny bit of steel in their fins.

fourplayfishy said:
if only 99% of them are infertile then there has to be that 1% to keep the line going
:-( I suppose so.... but its gonna be real rare! i mean like outta 100 bettas only one of them are gonna be fertile and guppydude, thanks for making this thread! we may learn lots here!

GP said:
fourplayfishy said:
Not necessarily. What they usually do is mix the fish with a steel colored, hence why most black bettas have a tiny bit of steel in their fins.
But what if we want PURE blacks?? like no other colour! that'd behard....

betta_lova said:
GP said:
fourplayfishy said:
Well then your going to have to either spend at least 100 bucks on a single betta, or you could go steel and slowly work your way up, so that the black betta has minimum steel in his color. Look at guppydude's new betta. Notice the slight steel in it's fins?

ill have to ask julie if she ever bred him b4, im interested in how much black carryed over and wat the mother looked liked.

GP said:
betta_lova said:
GP said:
fourplayfishy said:
Well then your going to have to either spend at least 100 bucks on a single betta, or you could go steel and slowly work your way up, so that the black betta has minimum steel in his color. Look at guppydude's new betta. Notice the slight steel in it's fins?
Yea....... I guess you can do that.... thansk for telling us gp! adn guppydude, julie just bought him from a betta show from jim sonnier so maybe asking him would be bettah

The topic of blacks and how to get a true "molly" black Betta (it hasn't happened yet) is currently being discusses on the CBS (Calif. Betta Society) boards. Phil Lafferty, Mark Ibarra and Dennis Lee have been throwing out some great info! They've all either currently or at one time worked with the blacks trying to get the steel irridescense out and get a true black line, but nobody has been successful yet. Bottom line is, it may never happen and if it does it's going to be a while. But it is a good goal if you want a challenge :)

Linda

betta_lova said:
Yea....... I guess you can do that.... thansk for telling us gp!
Well, considering there are 1 out of 100 that are actually fertile, I guess 99% of breeders have to do it, that is, if they are breeding black bettas.

betta_lova said:
Yea I guess so gp... but its gonna take a long long time!
Not necissarily, maybe after 2 fry generations you would be back to having a nearly black betta.

Most reactions

Back