How to breed a kinda gay fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

biofish

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
So I have this male guppy, Menma, and im about 92% sure heā€™s gay. He flares his fins and goes the little seizure mate dance thing to his fellow guppy men in the male tank. There was one male guppy, Nards, in particular that Menma followed around like a love struck puppy; no aggression no nips or any of the bully behavior I see between my other male guppies, just the two were constantly side by side leisurely going about the tank. Unfortunately Nards passed away a few months ago, and Menma hasnā€™t been as energetic since.

Iā€™ve had Menma in the female tank for a little over a week now and he is so not interested in the ladies that itā€™s really funny. He stays as far away from them as possible. I typically find him sulking in an empty part of the tank, away from the ladies. The older female fry in the tank he doesnā€™t avoid, just the adult ladies. And this isnā€™t the first time Iā€™ve tried to breed himā€¦ but heā€™s been just as uninterested as he is now.

Heā€™s my very first fish, so heā€™s probably getting up there in age. I first got fish mid way through April, and he was still young enough that he didnā€™t have all his colors in yet. So heā€™s probably just over a year old or so. And all the other fish that I got at the same time as him have started to die off, probably from older age? And itā€™s just. I really donā€™t wanna loose Menma, my first fish but I realize thatā€™s impossible so I wanna breed him.

Which leads us back to the problem that he isnā€™t interested in the ladies at all šŸ˜… the ladies have come up to him but Menma doesnā€™t even acknowledge them. I love him regardless but it would really be nice to have SOME offspring.

My boy is gay but I want his babies.

Any tips?

So I have this male guppy, Menma, and im about 92% sure heā€™s gay. He flares his fins and goes the little seizure mate dance thing to his fellow guppy men in the male tank. There was one male guppy, Nards, in particular that Menma followed around like a love struck puppy; no aggression no nips or any of the bully behavior I see between my other male guppies, just the two were constantly side by side leisurely going about the tank. Unfortunately Nards passed away a few months ago, and Menma hasnā€™t been as energetic since.

Iā€™ve had Menma in the female tank for a little over a week now and he is so not interested in the ladies that itā€™s really funny. He stays as far away from them as possible. I typically find him sulking in an empty part of the tank, away from the ladies. The older female fry in the tank he doesnā€™t avoid, just the adult ladies. And this isnā€™t the first time Iā€™ve tried to breed himā€¦ but heā€™s been just as uninterested as he is now.

Heā€™s my very first fish, so heā€™s probably getting up there in age. I first got fish mid way through April, and he was still young enough that he didnā€™t have all his colors in yet. So heā€™s probably just over a year old or so. And all the other fish that I got at the same time as him have started to die off, probably from older age? And itā€™s just. I really donā€™t wanna loose Menma, my first fish but I realize thatā€™s impossible so I wanna breed him.

Which leads us back to the problem that he isnā€™t interested in the ladies at all šŸ˜…I love him regardless but it would really be nice to have SOME offspring.

My boy is gay but I want his babies.

Any tips?
nah hes probably being with the ladies too
you know guppies šŸ˜³

i've had this before
2 of the best and biggest males just flaring and following each other
fast forward to when one of them died, he has many babies :D

also had the instance when a female changed to a male
that male was the male mentioned above that died :( he was really pretty yellow dumbo mosaic

Right now heā€™s the only adult male guppy in my female tank šŸ¤£ (thereā€™s a couple male fry which arenā€™t big enough to go into the male tank tho. My glo zebra tetras eat all of the older fry Iā€™ve tried to put in the male tank so yeah. But theyā€™re too big for the juvenile tank so. I put them in the female tank till theyā€™re a bit bigger.)

Heā€™s got the whole harem just to himself and heā€™s off pouting in a corner

Edit: my sister got me another fish tank for Christmas so Iā€™m gonna put all my glo danios and their sassy aggressive arsesā€™s in the new tank so they stop eating MY BABIES. and stop relentlessly chasing around my male guppies too but mostly so they stop eating the babies.

Last edited:
I've never related so much to a fish lol. Peculiar though if he's the only adult male! Usually males will harass females endlessly 'til they get their way, but that definitely is unusual! Maybe when those males are a little older, see how he is with them?

Usually males will harass females endlessly
Exactly! I mean. I support Menmaā€™s choice of drinking respect-women-juice but sheesh. He would stand to be a bit more frisky šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

But even if he doesnā€™t reproduce, I still love my dumbo gay son. Still want his genetics to pass on tho but I Love you Menma and respect you

Last edited:
Exactly! I mean. I support Menmaā€™s choice of drinking respect-women-juice but sheesh. He would stand to be a bit more frisky šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

But even if he doesnā€™t reproduce, I still love my dumbo gay son. Still want his genetics to pass on tho but I Love you Menma and respect your choice
Would love to see him! When someone wants their guppy to breed, you just know it's a beauty!

We miss a major point a lot of the time - females pick males. A male may be absolutely relentless and annoying, but if he isn't liked, he's out of luck.

The fact your guy gives up could point to ill health. I've had guppies give it a try with rocks and snails, so they are not that picky.

I have had same sex pairs form with Cichlids where there are bonds between partners (this with both sexes in the tank), but guppies are completely promiscuous creatures.

Would love to see him! When someone wants their guppy to breed, you just know it's a beauty!
796C1A77-900A-41F9-9DB4-9302AD164B34.jpeg

This was him when he was a bit younger but this is the best picture. His tail is bigger now and more brightly orange. And his body has a bit more silver and blue. I named him Menma because when I first got him he looked like this
954996D4-5175-4C33-B0CB-72E73AE21D16.png

you really do know your fuplies LOL
oh for me he was actually trying to breed with the other male not just flare
well the other one was a japenese lyretail so maybe that too
Yeah my males will try to breed with each other, the girls, the neons, the plates etc lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back