Wanting to know if my shrimp is pregnant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Marvsbabe

Reaction score
Hi I have started with 6 dwarf shrimps. Just wanting to know if one of them are pregnant

Attachments

• F74743DD-15DD-4643-B041-9C4AB46FA369.png
    F74743DD-15DD-4643-B041-9C4AB46FA369.png
    315.7 KB · Views: 105
Are any of your shrimp pulling eggs out of their bottom abdomen with their legs and moving them around under their body? If you are seeing this behavior then you should see shrimp babies within approximately the next 25 days. I’m fairly new to owning shrimp and I am just now seeing the eggs moving around via legs. Their may be other ways of telling but that was the first thing that stuck out to me. It seemed to happen shortly after they all molted, which happened right after the first water change I did with them.

The shrimp in the photo is a female which is carrying eggs between her swimmerets. I'm not sure if pregnant is the correct term, but she will have baby shrimps soon.
It's hard to tell from the photo but what species is she? Most shrimp eggs hatch to miniature adults but amano eggs hatch into a planktonic larval stage which needs to be in salt water to survive.

Yh she keeps moving them around all the time I think she is a snowball . I will keep a check on her

The shrimp in the photo is a female which is carrying eggs between her swimmerets. I'm not sure if pregnant is the correct term, but she will have baby shrimps soon.
The correct term for female crustaceans (shrimps, crayfish, crabs) with eggs is berried. In reference to the eggs looking like berries on a tree.

As the eggs get closer to hatching, you can often times see little black dots inside. These are their eyes and they will hatch in a few days after that. They are teeny tiny and almost clear at first so don’t be disappointed if you can’t find them. Look closely on the glass or plants and you may find one. Within a week they will be easier to see. Have fun!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back