FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

simonero

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Wanted: Apple Snail (pomacea caniculata preferably; not mystery snails!)

Age and condition: healthy and alive; any age
Quantity: up to 3-4?  I'll take even one if that's the limit of what you can spare

I need apple snails!  I find them fascinating but don't know where to get them in Atlanta.  I have about two years of experience with them - so I understand their care, habits, and importance of not letting them loose and starting up a population anywhere.  I currently have one year old female apple snail, but the recent death of mama-snail (3+ years old) has gotten me worried about the future.  Also, I'm finding that my tank maintains a balance easier when I am cleaning up after several giant snails than when I am trying not to overfeed one giant snail, so on a practical note my tank could benefit from some apple snail stocking.

Thank you!

I recently ordered mystery snails from what seems like a legit enough company on Amazon and every snail died within a day and a half.... 
no.gif

Where in Florida?  That's where I'm from, I occasionally drive down, but I have no idea where/how to get them!

Well, im near Fort myers, SW flordia, and their usually in the freshwater canals, most likely someone released them.

Not sure why yours all died, but best chance would be to get one day shipping, and acclimate them slowly.

I think it may have something to do with the post office in my city...  I tried mail holding but they drove around in 30degree weather ALL DAY with them bouncing around a truck and I had to wait until after they got back to go get them.  I called like 7 times and set it up ahead of time.  I think being in Atlanta just means the post office sucks.

In canals?  Hmmmmm I'll have to see if the freshwater canal my dad lives on would have them.  How would I find them though, without wading around in the water aimlessly feeling for plants with snails on them?  Because that seems a little scary, given my lack of knowledge of the actual canal and what grows/lives in it.  I know that probably sounds silly, but I just can't quite picture how to go about this in my mind..

Well some canals have alligators so you would want to watch out for those, but like some freshwater ponds have them by the shore and in canals, i usually see them near entire cement bridges that you can go under, because it gets really shallow around these areas.

I have tons of mystery snails I'd give you but it wouldn't be worth your drive to the Florida panhandle :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back