Want To Do A Marine Fluval

Ron Jeremy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Im hoping for some consistent sound advice folks.

I have a fluval edge I'd like to make marine. A simple set up of sand, rock with some coral on, a clown fish, and a cleaner shrimp.

I'll split my questions into sections.

Filter

Can the current filter be kept as is with all new media? Will it need to cycle? Do I add or remove that?

Heater.

Does that stay the same? What temp?

Power head.

How big? Etc

Lighting.

10,000k white LEDs? Blue? Why?

In essence, can somebody give me an idiots guide on conversion, set up, cycling and stocking please?

The Edge is a cool looking tank. That being said, when making it a marine, you have to do the following

-increase the flow, which means you have to get a power head in there somewhere. Aim for 20x turner, preferably accomplished by two sources.
-lighting will need to be seriously upgraded, especially if you want corals. Many will remove the light and add upgraded DIY LEDs.
-If you just do FOWLR, you'll be ok with the lighting
-its an ungainly tank for maintenance, just saying
-Temp should be whatever is comfortable for you to maintain, My reefs run the gamut from my balmy biotope at 82 right now, to my nps, which is at 75. Depends more on what you're keeping. Aim for around 78 to 80 is nice.

Im hoping for some consistent sound advice folks.

I have a fluval edge I'd like to make marine. A simple set up of sand, rock with some coral on, a clown fish, and a cleaner shrimp.

I'll split my questions into sections.

Filter

Can the current filter be kept as is with all new media? Will it need to cycle? Do I add or remove that?

Heater.

Does that stay the same? What temp?

Power head.

How big? Etc

Lighting.

10,000k white LEDs? Blue? Why?

In essence, can somebody give me an idiots guide on conversion, set up, cycling and stocking please?

Most reactions

Back