Want To Buy Some Shrimps....

scottca

Fish Crazy
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
224
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Milton Keynes, UK
Hi All,

I want to buy some Shrimps for my tank, But just wondering if they are compatable with my existing stocking... in my tank I have...

Sterbai Corys
Bristlenose Plecs
Phantom Tetra's (Black and Red if it makes any difference)
2x Dwarf Gourami's
Pantazona Barbs
Neon Rainbow's
Mountain Minnows

Will the above all be ok with Shrimp, I dont want to get any if they start eating each other!

I have a small outbreak of MTS's - I have reduced feeding and insured that not much hits the bottom of the tank etc, also increased my cleaning.. but they are still reproducing quicker than I want them too, I considered getting some sort of Loach, my LFS has pakastani loaches - Can I keep these on their own, are they considered a community fish?

I was also looking at maybe apple snails or something of that type, I presume a loach such as the pakastani loach will kill it? or will the snail be too big for it to have a go? Will the go after the shrimp? If so.. ill carry of manually taking snails out and donating them to friends that have clowns :) and ill get the shrimp and snails

ohh sorry 1 more question, do larger snails such as the apple and shrimp have much affect on the bioload of the tank?


Cheers,

Craig
 
Hi All,

I want to buy some Shrimps for my tank, But just wondering if they are compatable with my existing stocking... in my tank I have...

Sterbai Corys
Bristlenose Plecs
Phantom Tetra's (Black and Red if it makes any difference)
2x Dwarf Gourami's
Pantazona Barbs
Neon Rainbow's
Mountain Minnows

Will the above all be ok with Shrimp, I dont want to get any if they start eating each other!

I have a small outbreak of MTS's - I have reduced feeding and insured that not much hits the bottom of the tank etc, also increased my cleaning.. but they are still reproducing quicker than I want them too, I considered getting some sort of Loach, my LFS has pakastani loaches - Can I keep these on their own, are they considered a community fish?

I was also looking at maybe apple snails or something of that type, I presume a loach such as the pakastani loach will kill it? or will the snail be too big for it to have a go? Will the go after the shrimp? If so.. ill carry of manually taking snails out and donating them to friends that have clowns :) and ill get the shrimp and snails

ohh sorry 1 more question, do larger snails such as the apple and shrimp have much affect on the bioload of the tank?


Cheers,

Craig


first of all can u tell us the size of ur tank and the dimensions
 
Oops - Sorry, its a fluval Vicenza 180, 180 Litre bow front..

Its Well planted, running Compressed Co2 with aditional Ferts (not sure thats relevent but better giving too much info rather than too little)

Thanks,

Craig
 
I would concerned for the shrimps safety tbh - unless you got large size shrimp, in which case in a well planted tank they may survive. But small shrimp such as cherries would be easy tasty snacks for most of your fish.
 
Thanks Minx - Maybe I'll steer away from the shrimp then :( - Is it the pantazona's that are the main ones to be concerned of, it is a fairly heavily planted tank, the shrimp im looking at are approx 1 inch long
 
Thanks Minx - Maybe I'll steer away from the shrimp then :( - Is it the pantazona's that are the main ones to be concerned of, it is a fairly heavily planted tank, the shrimp im looking at are approx 1 inch long


then defo a no no then :crazy:
 
The barbs, tetras, gourami's pretty much all of them tbh.

I stupidly put some cherries in with guppies a couple of weeks ago, even some amano, they didnt last more than 2 days. So as you can imagine in with your fish - wouldnt stand a chance.
 
:( thanks for your replies, Have no experience with Shrimp, but nevermind.... dont suppose you know of a good loach that wont mind being either on his own or in a very small group, that loves to eat snails but at the same time, wont harm other fish or disturb my BN's from breeding :)
 
:( thanks for your replies, Have no experience with Shrimp, but nevermind.... dont suppose you know of a good loach that wont mind being either on his own or in a very small group, that loves to eat snails but at the same time, wont harm other fish or disturb my BN's from breeding :)

kuhli loach? :good:
 
Thanks Guys :)

Esfa - I love them but heard Kuhli's dont really like to eat snails? do you know if thats true?

Also, Would my stocking list be ok if I put some apple snails (or others of similar size) in there?

Thanks again

Craig
 
Apple snails should be ok :good:

Although if you do get a loach, then say bye bye to the apple snail :D
 
Ahh yeah the potential loach... Need to decide who is going to win - Im gearing to apple snails to be honest as with the BN's and Corys, I dont want any more bottom guys as I dont want them cramped! :)
 
at good fish that eats snails is humbug cat but if oyur wanting apple snails then obviously no
 

Most reactions

Back
Top