Want Me A Buddha Statue

lgarvey

Fish Crazy
Joined
Mar 7, 2008
Messages
266
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Manchester, UK
Hi,

I've been dying to get a buddha statue to put in my tank. Originally I was going to put one in my lake malawi mbuna tank, but feel that it's a mis match as their so rowdy and aggressive it conflicts with the buddhist stance on non agression and non violence. Maybe I should put a plastic machine gun in there, instead?

However, I'm now setting up a 90L planted tank and it will be relatively peaceful. But, i can't find a buddha statue in the LFS or online specifically for fish tanks. So what can I use? I assume anything bronze or wood is a no no. The most common statues are resin -- would this be OK, or could it have some kind of coating that leaches chemicals into the water?

I have seen lots of betta tanks and other planted tanks that feature a buddha statue, so I know it's possible. =)

L
 
Resin is OK as far as I know as they use it for making most aquarium ornaments. I don't know if the 'vinegar test' would work in this scenario.
 
Resin is OK as far as I know as they use it for making most aquarium ornaments. I don't know if the 'vinegar test' would work in this scenario.

I read that somewhere else on the forum too. OK, i'll keep on the look out for a resin statue! =0

Cheers.

L
 
Petco carries this one...it's 9 inches tall.


800443027622C.jpg




[URL="http://www.petco.com/product/104123/PETCO-...rium-Decor.aspx"]http://www.petco.com/product/104123/PETCO-...rium-Decor.aspx[/URL]
 
Ahh, I finally found one at the local market. It's an indian buddha, not a tibeten buddha, but it'll do nicely: -


http://www.lyndongarvey.co.uk/buddha2.jpg


Unfortunately I'm going to have to empty the tank to put in a decent substrate, before planting the plants. Job for this weekend I think. =(

If anyone knows what plants are used to make a carpet of grass effect (micro swords?) let me know!


L
 
I know nowt about plants, but Java Moss springs to mind, I believe it is VERY keen to grow everywhere as a carpet! (You will need to 'tame' it though and keep it trimmed, just like an ordinary lawn).
I was very tempted by it, but personally I think I am going to avoid it as I don't want a plant that will just take over the tank. It depends what you want / need I guess!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top