Wana Add Tiger Barbs!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KimmyFishy89

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Right now I have a ten gallon tank with 1 angel (Please dont tell me to move him, I am currently looking for a new home for him right now, so I already know :p) 3 xray tetras, a mickey mouse platy and two cory cats. Right now I am pretty much maxed out, so I wana know which fish to move so I can put in some nice tiger barbs B) And how many should I put into a ten gallon tank?

Personally I'd only keep tigers in a species tank - I've heard too many horror stories.

Tigers are known for being fin nippers. Especially if they are in a small school. The larger the school the less of a problem it would be. Though some people have problems with tiger barbs even if they are in a school.

Not nice, bad fish. Try ruby barbs they stay small 1.5 in they are dark red and just as active as tiger barbs, but nice and peaceful.

Just read your post Moe, I cannot agree with your comment about rubys' being less aggrresive. From my little experience with my three Ruby's, they are as bad as the other Barbs I have, for fin nipping or at least chasing.

Putting Tigers into a 10 gallon tank would be suicide for any other fish in there. You really need at least six Barbs together before they start to calm down a bit. So in a 10 gallon tank that would be pretty much the tank filled.

Tigers are an awesome fish, don't believe all the bad press. You just have to find suitable fish to place with them.

Hi Kimmyfishy, I don,t know why tigers have got such a bad rap. In my tank the 6 TBs are the one of the least aggressive species in there. They like to swim just above the bottom so they go well with platys who like the top and cats who like the bottom but I,m not sure about tetras as I don,t have any. But to be honest I don,t think putting 6 TBs ( this is the minimum amount ) in a ten gallon will make them too happy. They like plenty of room to chase each other about.

In my tank the 6 TBs are the one of the least aggressive species in there

I agree with you that the tigers that i have seen have not been particually agressive...they are nippy little fellows, chasing each other around...A friend of mine has 2 in a community tank and they don't bother the other fish, just chase each other round happily all day...It might be an age/personality thing..I know that his barbs are a few years old, but I wouldn't rule out barbs in my tank...(just my opinion though, don't take it as the truth! ;))

i have kept tiger barbs before and they are lovely fish if you keep a schoal of them!, so they can chase each and other about, but just get one and there will more than likely be trouble!!

I have 4 tiger barbs as you can see in my sig. They pretty much keep to themselves. Get along great with the other fish. I thought that there might be a problem with them and the cherry barb because he is just a little guy(3/4in) but they pay no attention to him. I never see them nipping at each other, I think they would be a good choice. If I were you I would move everything besides the cories and get 4 or 5 tigers :D

I'm going to jmp on the Tiger band wagon here & say that My Tiger's are great. When they do chase they only chase each other. Occasionally they will chase a Tetra but very rarely. They mainly swim up & down the sides of the tank or do loops around it. The are active but I would classify them as non-agressive towards other fish(non Barbs).

We got tiger barbs for our tank since our school mascot is the tiger. They killed everything. I posted here for suggestions and tried them in out 55 gallon but eventually had to put them in a 20 gallon tank by themselves.

Just my experience with kids watchong the blood and gore!

You're going to hear both sides of the story consistantly. Lots of people have has nightmares with the tiger barbs, and other people have had no problem.

I have 5 tigers in with a firemouth cichild, 2 rosy barbs, 1 redtail shark, and 1 cuckoo cat, and everyone gets along fine.

But I went through a few tiger barbs before the 5 I have now settled down. They did kill one of the original I had...

I started out with 4, one was being severly picked on, so i got two more out of recommedation...

When I brought home the new 2, they had Ich, i removed the one showing the white spot and put him in a quarantine tank...

the picked on tiger barb never was left alone, they continued to pick on him and eventually he died. eventually i put the other tiger barb back with the remaining 4, totalling 5. and now that group of 5 is all cool with each other, and cool with the other fish.

so basically, it took a while to sort it all out, but now they are happy. I'd say avoid them if you don't want to take a risk.

- kip

hi SchoolMarm,
I am planning on 6 tiger barbs in our 55 gallon. What other fish were in this tank that the tigers terrorized? I currently have giant danios, a dozen zebras and a redneck molly in that tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back