Wahoo! I Start 'biological Photography And Imaging' Next W

Curiosity101

Is now at University! :D
Reaction score
It's one of my (very) few choices I get to make as part of my degree. And as I picked relatively 'hard' other modules I also opted for biological photography and imaging.

Hey... I might even be taught how to take a decent picture of a fish! lol. And they'll let us all loose with lovely expensive uni cameras. Woop!

Haha... so does the professor I assume which is the only thing I'm worried about :unsure: :lol: :lol:

It'll be nice having a purely coursework based module for a change. And I have my dissertation to write... so all in all come next exam period I should only have 3 exams to revise for... no excuse for failing in the summer then :( lol.

Is this at Nottingham? If so I did the MSc there a couple of years ago.

Yup it's Nottingham :)

I'm only doing a BSc in Genetics, with the theory that I will probably go on to do a phD so it seems silly for me to do a MSc.

Yeah I did the MSc as I couldn't find any PhDs I wanted to do at the time, now doing an ecology PhD at Edinburgh.

When you meet David McMahon be sure to wind him up, he's not as scary as he likes to think he is!

If I can't find a phD I'm not sure what I'll do...especially as it might be too late for me to switch to the MSc course. Think I'd probably just take time out and carry on looking for a phD elsewhere like you.
Do you know what I did find funny... apparently as an MSc student you'd have had to be 'supervised' in the labs? But a phD student that begin their phD at the same time you began your 4th year (so in theory is likely to be from the same class and therefore same age)... is allowed in the labs un supervised. I warned my friends on the MSc that they'd better be nice to me. lol.

And I will be sure to hold my own against David McMahon (don't think I've come across him yet)... sure he'll be fine lol. Have you ever had Tom Reader (stats first year) screaming at you? It was quite funny actually... it wasn't aimed at me, but he proper lost it with the whole lecture group... he'd been stood at the front silently waiting to start (no one knew he was wating to start cause it was 5 mins before it should've been starting). And he went bright red, yelling about how ignorant we were... I think everyone was a little shocked after that, didn't help foster a love of statistics in anyone either. lol.

Hah no, I've never really encountered many of the biology staff their as I did my undergrad at Edinburgh (was only in Nott for one year for the MSc). No idea who is running the photography stuff these days as the guy who was in charge when I was there (Brian) died shortly afterwards. The undergrad module should be pretty straightforward - they assume that you've basically never held a camera before and don't have a huge amount of teaching time, so make the most of the times you have equipment available and put in the effort to show a bit of creativity and you should get decent marks.

It's David McMahon who is in charge of the photography module now :) That's why I thought you'd mentioned him.

And trust me, out of all my modules this is the only one you can describe as 'fun', the rest are very much genetics and fact/knowledge based. I will certainly be working hard and attempting to take some nice pictures.

Ah right, he was basically the assistant lecturer/tech guy when I was there.

Well, have fun, and feel free to post up any shots if you want some extra feedback on them.

Most reactions

Back