Wabi Kusa

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ian

plant your tank
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have fancied doing a Wabi Kusa for a while now, i was in (being dragged around) Asda Living today when i came across a bowl that i thought would suit a Wabi (this made Asda my friend). For the last few weeks when taking my dog out i have been spying all the plants on the banks in my local park, well this afternoon i went in a borrowed a few, and some terrestrial moss from a tree. There is one Ludwigia stem in there (which i'm not holding out hope for). The water isn't that clear yet either...

anyways,

I started of with some Monando and Flora-base and mixed them together to made a clay substance which became my Wabi ball

wabi4.jpg

this was the finished article after a nice afternoon in the garden

wabi5.jpg

close up of river bank plant (unsure of name)

wabi2.jpg

on the windowsill

wabi6.jpg

sorry, water isn't quite clear

wabi1.jpg

wabi3.jpg

Theres a bonus, the wife really likes it! lol

I like it, never heard of wasabi kuza before lol but looks good, googling as we speak.

Wow just found some amazing scapes in this style, none with fish in tho, which is strange.

they are more of an ornamental piece, there are some with either shrimp or snails in. I may put some MTS in this one, we'll see.

Too cool, Ian. I've seen some Wabi kusa scape before. :good: The idea apeals to me. It's quite freeing, and I like that the plants mix. This is what happens in the wild.

Liz

would love to see what others around the world could offer! (that means you Liz!). Apart from the Luwigia, all plants are native to England. It'll be interesting to see what it's like in a few weeks.

Ian, me thinks what you can give me advice on I have on my window seal. Just bamboo at the mo, I'll try and get a few pic's up, As it gets full sun in the morning, I was thinking of maybe adding some sprimp. Its a tall glass jar, with glass beads and just bamboo. Just love what you do with your scapes. Trouble is the OH may think I'm sneaking another tank in. :rolleyes:

Cheers Little Monkey!

you have to be careful with Bamboo if you're think of stocking, bamboo will rot after a while...is it that lucky bamboo stuff?

Thanks Ian, The bamboo is in the correct depth of water, It was a rescue job from some-else's tank, they had it totally submerged. It's growning well and I give it a water change (believe it or not) often. I'll set up a new forum, I got the vase cheap, ex display model from a flower shop. Believe me guy's it's worth asking, you'll grab yourself a bargin. Or maybe it's me I just got the balls to ask. I'm just about ask next door and ask them what they are doing with an old wooden tub , it will look good next to my pond.
If anyone needs an negotiator just let me know. :lol:

stick a pic up and show us what it looks like. You can grab bargains when is comes to things like this, this glass bowl cost me £2. The rest was free, i had the clay substrate in my shed and the plants were from my local park. It's good to see different styles of aquascaping.

The Ludwigia has all but shriveled up and past on. I shall leave it to see if it come back to life in it immersed form.

RIP submerged Lud
wabilud.jpg

I have been out with the dog again tonight (he's tired out!), and picked a couple more stem type plants. I don't know what they are, i'm not good with terrestrial plants. I think they may be saplings of some kind, i'm not sure. They were taken from some marshland.

wabisap.jpg

Right ho Ian, will take piccys. The vase is tall but tapered. I would like to know what peeps think. Will try tomorrow, matchstick's giving out on eyelids. Got to dogproof the garden tomorrow and housework to be done. PAH.

Most reactions

Back