🐠 TOTM VOTE NOW - January 2024 Tank of the Month Contest (17 to 30 gallons)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Vote Now - January 2024 Tank of the Month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
POLL IS NOW CLOSED
tankofthemonth-img.jpg

:big_boss:
Please Vote Now
We have 5 awesome tanks entered in Fishforums' January 2024 Tank of the Month contest featuring tanks sized at 17 to 30 gallons. View all the tanks and descriptions below and then go to poll at the top of this thread, click on your choice for TOTM, and then click the "Cast" button.

Please DO NOT post any comments about any specific entry in this thread...such posts will promptly be deleted. You are not allowed to update your entry picture or video once voting has started.

Please Note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken. You are not allowed to have friends or family join TFF for the main purpose of voting for you. This is a public poll so source of votes can be viewed.

Winner will be awarded a neat "Tank of the Month Winner" banner in their profile area and will be featured in a "TOTM Winner" thread for all to see and to comment on. Winner will also be added to our TOTM WALL OF FAME

You are allowed to change your vote if you wish.
This poll will end on January 20th at 4 PM ET (US).

Last edited:
totm entry-5.jpg

Heres my 20g planted aquarium.

This tank has been through many iterations, but this is by far my favorite.
I started this tank early in 2021 when I first joined the forum. I knew nothing about plants, but over time, I have at least learned how to make them grow :)

We've got quite a variety of plants growing in this tank:
Anacharis, Cabomba, Frogbit, Crypt Wendtii Green, Christmas Moss, Tiger lotus(dorment), bucephalandra green wavy, anubias barteri, nana petite, nana, and dwarf hair grass.
Current stocking is:
Six Neon Tetra, two Cherry Barb, two Red eye Tetra, three amano shrimp, and six Emerald Dwarf Rasbora.

The substrate is miracle-grow potting soil capped with Quickrete pool filter sand. As you can see, the plants grow very well.

Hardscape is a nice big piece of Malaysian driftwood. I got it for a great price. I guess that's a perk of owning your aquarium plant shop :)

I am currently running this tank filterless, walstad style. We've got a heater stuck behind the hardscape. This is almost as natural as it gets.

Lighting is a nicrew. I have that on most of my tanks.

I could probably go on and on about this tank. It's a joy to watch, and it was a joy to create.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my 20 gallon tank, one of the first aquaruims I started. I started without plants and I've gradually tried adding different ones and let the ones that do well grow out. Probably going to add some more soon I think. The current livestock is not the same as what it started with. Most of of the previous occupants have been moved to a larger tank.

• Substrate: Small pebbles mixed with black gravel
  • Plants:
    • Submerged: Java Fern, Vallisneria, Amazon Sword, Frogbit, Duckweed, Moss, Couple others not sure what they are called
    • Emersed: Goldon Pothos, Lucky Bamboo, not sure what the smaller darker green one is called
  • Hardscape: Couple pieces of small drift wood & rock
  • Filter: HOB Tetra Whisper IQ 20 filter with AQUANEAT Aquarium Bio Sponge Filter Media Pad (and sponge pre-filter). With filter baffle from Galaxy Glow Studio
  • Heater: Small Submersible Aquarium Heater, Adjustable (100 Watts)
  • Lighting: NICREW SkyLED Plus Aquarium Plant Light
  • Fish: 6 Platinum Green Tiger Barbs
  • Snails: 1 Mystery snail, 8 Nerite snails
  • Other hardware: NICREW Multi-Colored LED Aquarium Bubbling Stone Disk, Imagitarium Tree Log with Plants Decor

Invasion of the Plecos
IMG_3146.jpeg

Invasion of the Plecos o_O 🤪
This is my 29 gallon tank.
It houses 1 Peppered Cory, 2 Black Skirt Tetras (survirors from a larger group), and an invasion of 31 BN Pleco Fry.

I previously also had 2 adult BN Pleco which spawned.
I was not expecting fry and I surely have no need for more Plecos. I gave the two adult Plecos to my LFS as I don't want them to spawn again and add another 30+ Pleco fry. The LFS was very excited to get them. I plan on bringing all the fry to the LFS once they grow large enough.

I feed a couple of algae wafers and some flakes once a day. The 31 hungry Pleco fry finish off the algae wafers after several hours.

The tank has a 150 watt heater and a Marineland 200 filter. I replaced the cartridge with sponge and floss. I clean the sponge once a month in tank water and replace the floss at that time.There also a large air pump powered sponge filter on the right side of the tank. The lighting is one 18 watt fluorescent tube.

Plants are Anubias. There is a large arch shaped Malasian driftwood in the tank. I made two "caves" for either side of the tank using flagstone and rocks. The substrate consists of pool filter sand. There is a fair amount of algae for the 31 Pleco fry to munch on.

Last edited:
Cropped 20240104_082712.jpg

Below is my work office hard water tank. It contains various varieties to Neocardinias, and some mutt guppies from my 37 gallon tank I de-commissioned.

I haven't kept track with the plants I put in, but the right side is a moss I planted that has totally taken over the tank and the shrimp tend to hang out in it along with in the Salvina on the top which also needs to be thinned. I allow a little bit of algae to establish in the tank because the shrimp seem to do better with it in the tank. When I get a problem that is difficult to solve, I tend to look over to the tank and it helps me focus on what I am working on.

I call the tank the holey tank because 90% of the rocks have holes in them mostly made by rock burrowing bivalves common in this area. I like the freedom of not worrying about whether the rocks are calcareous or not, my other tank is a softwater tank at 10 to 20 gh.

• 20 gallon long
  • Unknown number of mostly red cherry shrimp
  • 1 adult female guppy and 5? fry from her
  • min temp 70 degrees but can be warmer in the summer
  • local water mixed with Equilibrium to produce 160 to 180 GH
  • Filtration via a foam filter and airpump only
  • Nicrew color changing light but I only use the white light setting approximately 6500k.
  • Floaters cover the entire top, making it hard to keep plants in the substrate happy.
  • Substrate is Florite Black Sand, seems to work ok in this type of setup.
  • 20 to 40% water change weekly, the shrimp do not seem to do well with my usual 50% weekly.

20240107_142206.jpg

29 gallons set up January 2021 I think, 2/3 undergravel with fairly chunky gravel, 1/3 sand. 4 Bronze corydoras, unknown number of guppies, one Albino Bristlenose. Gets a monthly water change. Plants are crypts and Anubis Nana I think. Roots at the right, pothos ivy, doesn't get much light. Haven't tested in a while, Haven't lost a fish in a year or 2. last water change and tidyup probably early December, no time for that today, cleaning out chicken coop

Poll is now closed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back