What's new

Vote Now! - August 2022 Fish of the Month Contest (Plecos)

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Vote Now for August 2022 Fish of the Month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
POLL IS NOW CLOSED
fotm-banner-small.jpg

Plecos
:big_boss:
PLEASE VOTE!
We have 12 awesome Plecos entered into August 2022 Fish of the Month Contest. View all the entries and descriptions below and then go to the top of page - click on your choice for FOTM and then click the "cast" button.

You are not allowed to update your entry picture once voting has started.

Please note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken. You are not allowed to have friends or family join TFF for the main purpose of voting for you. This is a public poll so source of votes can be viewed.

The winner is awarded a neat banner in his profile area and will be featured in a Winner Thread for all to see and to comment. The winner also will be added to our FOTM Wall of Fame .

Poll will close on August 31st at 1:48 PM ET (US).

Good luck to our entrants in the Fish of the Month contest. We at fishforums.net thank you for your participation.

Last edited:
695F248F-3EFE-49E3-984F-13D66FE20EDF.jpeg

Introducing Cthulhu Davy Jones (featuring a super long stand of poo)! Nickname: Baby Jones. According to the label when I bought them, they are an blue-eyed albino bristlenose. But alas, that little black spot on their booty breaks the albino streak. We’ve had Baby Jones for a bit longer than a month, got him for my birthday, and he’s tripled in size since we got him (still a tiny baby though). They live in my 55 gallon that has 8 albino Cory catfish and two female pearl gourami. And this little guy, is extremely active. The vroom vroom lawnmower of the tank. I don’t feed him anything special. There’s more than enough algae in the tank so I don’t need to drop in waters so really he gets the left over flakes that the Cory’s and Gourami. And by golly he must be getting more than enough with how much he’s growing. For the pictures I had a hold of the wood piece he was on and was gently rotating it for the photogenic angles heehee.

Last edited by a moderator:
B0163C02-8FE2-4C4F-8113-174967183D18.jpeg

This is my Bushynose Pleco. The species is also called Bristlenose. This one is a female as it doesn't have large bristles compared to males. Her name is Nessie and she's about 5 years old. She's not too shy as she sometimes comes out during the day to the front of the tank when she reminds me to give her an Algae Wafer. She has lots of algae in the tank to munch on as well as a large piece of driftwood. Beside the algae wafer, I occasionally feed her zucchini which she loves.

I have another Bushynose Pleco, a male, in the tank as well but each BN Pleco pretty much has their own territory on opposite sides of the 29 gallon tank. They never bother each other.

The tank also houses 4 Black Skirt Tetras and 4 Tiger Barbs. All tank inhabitants get along with each other.

Last edited:
IMG_20220815_102659_resized_20220815_102743722.jpg

Now I did say that if I tried to take a photo of one, then chances are a few others would photobomb. My baby Pleco are like London buses...wait for one to sit stillish and 4 turn up

Quality of the image is not wonderful but my excuses are that they refused to sit and stay...and my camera phone is a cheap and cheerful one.

So here we have 4 juvenile Pleco....they have approximately 20+ siblings and cousins in the 200 litre aquarium living alongside my other assorted hooligans.

The aquarium is 50/50 planted/artificial, a sand and glass substrate mix, double filtered and with the current weather it is unheated.

The parents along with at least 50 others have gone to new homes. I am somewhat stumped as to what to do with these little scoundrels since they are wise and quick and frankly uncatchable (I sat on the floor for 45 minutes waiting for one to park itself to be photographed...so catching would be a nightmare)

Here you have an example of an aquarium that shouldn't work, that has artificial and real plants and ceramic hides and rocks that is a very definite breeding paradise for fishy hooligans.

DSC08632.JPG

This young entry goes by the name of Mikey. I've only had Mikey about a month or so and he's still pretty young so he's not very big , and fortunately the Bristlenose Plecs do not grow as big as many of the other Plecos. Because of his youth I'm not sure if he's a he or a she. He's an albino Bristlenose Pleco, and he lives in a 20 gallon high with some small Honey Gouramis, 3 corys, and a couple of my wife's small Angels who are sharing space temporarily. The tank has some Amazon sword plants, rocks, driftwood, with gravel substrate, and a Tidal 55 HOB filter. Mikey eats algae wafers and devours cucumbers and zucchini squash when he's not hunting for tank algae and wood. It's amazing what a fish his size eats. He gets along great with his tank mates, especially since none of the other fish like his fresh veggies, and Mikey doesn't like their flake food, so they get along quite happily.:lol:

20220816_040630.jpg

This Pleco is in my 30g. I haven't named him yet, I've had him for about a month now, he has grown a lot!
I have been trying something new, in thier feeding..I put food in the cups instead of on the substrate...it took them a few days to really get used to this method but they have got it now! Lol he will sit like that, protecting his wafer for like an hour then he will allow others to it lol
This tank has the PenPlax undergravel filtration, plus 2 aquean filters on back (a 75g and a 20g) it has some fake leaves and Java Fern.
Just a heads up... if you ever see the "waterfall" (left side of tank) in a store...do not buy it! They made it so there is a hole on the bottom which allows fish to swim up between the rock and the plastic that created the waterfall appearance...I lost my favorite Beta to it😔
I had to break the resin on top and cut thru some of the plastic to get him out...(I ripped out the remaining plastic, and used some fake plants to plug up the holes I created on top when I broke it off)
Sorry went on a side trip there...back to my Pleco!
In this tank, he has Danfoss, Neons, a Beta (named Thor) a dalmatian Mollie, a couple African Dwarf Frogs, Cat fish (Cories and another breed I can't remember right now)Algae eaters, and of coursey Pleco. Underneath the undergravel filtration grid plates I have crushed coral to keep my PH in check.
Maybe you guys can help me name him! (Well I say him but honestly I don't know how to see what sex it is)

6D84FCAB-1C77-4291-A003-6C11AE57E934.jpeg

This is my albino bristlenose pleco. She is about 3 years old, I got her when she was just an itty bitty baby about 1” and now she’s about 4”. She shares her planted 75g tank with 2 angelfish, about 10 platies, 3 neons, and a yo-yo loach. She enjoys napping on her natural driftwood and between naps foraging in all the nooks and crannies. I actually have no idea if she’s a male or female but for some reason I’ve always thought of her as female and the yo-yo loach as her crazy maniac brother since I got both of them at the same time. She doesn’t have a name but suggestions are currently being accepted.

DSC_0014.JPG

Say hi to Moana our Female Albino Fancy Tailed Bristlenosed Pleco. She is 3 inches long and beautiful. She is part of a Mated Pair. Maui her husband is full grown at 5-6 inches and is fully equipped with really big Bristles and the most prominent fancy tails! I knew very little about Bristlenosed Pleco's when I went shopping for one for my new 40-gallon Barb tank. I did know they do not get past about 5-6 inches and do a great job at keeping Algae at bay. But good luck finding a larger one at the time I was buying. Everything I found was little 1.5-inch guys. I did buy one of those as well for another tank and their name is Hey Hey. I am the grandfather to 5 kids who are 6 and under so... So we adopted the Pair and they live under a huge pirate ship together. I suspect they will mate again I hope. I have actually seen Maui pushing a food wafer towards Moana once. It was obviously intended for her as he moved it a good 8 inches or so to get it to her all along with his own wafer in his mouth. They also share just one wafer as well it's very cute. Just like my wife and I, Moana is much busier than Maui always cleaning while I nap. She is out during the day a lot more than him, which is why I chose her for the picture. Moana lives with 9 assorted Tiger Barbs and so far she just eats the Algae in the tank and I throw in a Wafer every other day or so. Once the tank is more established, it's 7 weeks in now and doing great, I will test our some zucchini, cucumber, etc. This is my first photo contest thanks for setting it up! Gregg

IMG_20220817_230127165~2.jpg

This is Tuna Turner. He is a four year old albino bristlenose pleco. I purchased him at my lfs as a wee little pleco. He was so tiny I was afraid he would get squished in the corner of the bag.

Anyway, now he's about six inches long. I never see him until night time and anytime he catches me checking him out he zips right back in to his little driftwood lair. He hates other plecos, hates me, loves his ghost knife friend (they share a lair). Also he's a freeloader that doesn't pull his weight by cleaning his tank. I still think he's super cool though and anytime I get to ogle him I like to look at his scales and the spots on his noggin :)

He is the only bottom feeder in a 75gallon tank. He has lots of live plants to dig up, a big mopani wood he tunnels under.

Tank mates:
Black ghost knife
4 blind cave tetras
7 assorted tiger barbs
3 killifish

20220817_210230.jpg

I didn't name my Clown Pleco when I got him in 2014. I guess I should call him Methuselah now. He's 8, quite old but can still outrun a camera pretty well. I didn't get the greatest pic, he saw me coming for that one. He spent a couple of years in a 29 gallon with a pair of Albino Bristle nose, but now he has the whole 55 and has convinced me that he is too uppity to clean glass. Given the cyano outbreak I had for a while, this a good thing. He mostly eats his driftwood and the occasional pleco pellet and once in a great while condescends to clean the glass. All my closeups turned out blurry so we have what we have.

mmexport1660797359498.jpg

Meet with Mr googly eye :)
Not sure what else I could say other than he is a peaceful pleco that will keep the tank crystal clean the entire time. Definitely become the biggest guy in the tank through the last year or so. But is super chill and gentle. Everytime when I feed other fish. Mr googly eye will do a belly up to the surface of water to grab some treats as well.

I hope he continue thrive. ;)

IMG-20220818-WA0002.jpg

This is my old Bristlenose Placo named "Shimmy".

I got him about 3 years ago, we don't know his exact age as he was already a big chungus when we got him from his previous owners! 😄

He is an extremely shy fish, so getting a photo of him is very hard in general, as he will swim away into his stone as soon as you get too close/ a phone is pulled up! 🤣

He can be a little territorial over the other Corydoras paleatus, but he is pretty layed back in general!

His current tank mates are : 1 male dwarf gourami, 1 male corydoras paleatus ( I think male) , 2 swordtail (male and female), and a bunch of guppies! He lives in a 150litre tank ^~^

His favorite food by far are cucumbers! He absolutely loves them! But he is not a picky eater, he will eat sweet potato, tomato, zucchini, iceberg salad, apple, kelp pads, flakes etc!

POLL IS NOW CLOSED

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back