Visitor To My Garden

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Cazgar

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
My neighbour knocked earlier & told me there was a hedgehog by my house.
I went to look & it was obvious something was wrong as it didn't move, neither did it curl up when I picked it up
I phoned the local wildlife rescue, they had no one available to take it, so they told me to put it in a box with newspaper in a warm dry place with food & water.
I've done that so, hope it survives the night

Pic before adding newspaper

f69bba07.jpg

I remember my nan kicking one of these in the garden before, mistaking it for the kids next door play ball. Boy did she have a sore foot.

Hope it pulls through

Just been to check on it.
The foods been eaten & it's gone

Hedgehogs are apparently addicted to antifreeze and or radiator coolant, maybe it had a bit too much and is now feeling better after having a decent meal.

How cute is he...miss seeing hedgehogs in the garden. They are not wild animals in Canada and sold as pets, still makes me laugh when I see one in the pet shop....

I was very careful & wrapped him in an old towel before putting him in the box, I knew about the flea thing
I hope he's doing ok, at least he left me with a good meal inside him

Take care with hedgehogs they nare normally crawling with fleas.
its not the fleas that would bother me, its the ticks, you dont want one of them under your skin at least fleas jump on then off again, we are very lucky here, we have a few hedgehog hospitals for those found in not so good condition, very educational day out

A lot of animals love the taste of antifreeze because it's so sweet. Where I am, there's a... let's say "less than pleasant individual" who is going round deliberately poisoning cats with it. There was a campaign going to try to make antifreeze not so palatable to animals but I haven't heard anything from it in a while

^^^ oddly enough... it is true! very fatal and very common in cats.

I remember taking on a hedgehog we found in awful condition, the RSPCA were of no hope so after getting him treated for internal parasites including heart worm or whatever it is, getting rid of fleas and about 9 ticks... he made a slow recovery and we kept him over the winteras he was way too thin to let go so late.

Shame... he died for no obvious reason not long before he was ready to be released! Poor Meatball :( we did what we could!

Hedgehogs are apparently addicted to antifreeze and or radiator coolant, maybe it had a bit too much and is now feeling better after having a decent meal.

If they're addicted, they're dead. It tastes good, but ethylene glycol kills pretty quick. It causes severe kidney damage and failure and whoever has ingested it will usually die within 24 hours if not treated.

Symptoms include seeming confusion, dizziness, sickness, then hyperventilation and muscle spasms, then acute kidney failure.

Treatment at home (if your cat comes back showing symptoms of drinking it for example) is ethanol, i.e. alcohol. Give 0.5ml per kg of bodyweight in vodka (as strong as possible) to combat effects. Calling your vet is also a pretty good idea :p

A lot of animals love the taste of antifreeze because it's so sweet. Where I am, there's a... let's say "less than pleasant individual" who is going round deliberately poisoning cats with it. There was a campaign going to try to make antifreeze not so palatable to animals but I haven't heard anything from it in a while

is there somewhere an under 18 year old can sign a petition???

If they're addicted, they're dead.

exactly, we often hear of cases where cats or dogs have been in contact, but by the time the animal gets to a vet its too late, there is no such thing as having a addiction and having a decent meal to feel better, i wish there was :( its a very painfull way to die

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back