Vinegar Eels - Getting Desperate

LauraFrog

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Aug 25, 2007
Messages
2,372
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Queensland, Australia
About three days ago, I finally got my hands on a vinegar eel culture. This is the first time I have seen either vinegar eels or microworms in Australia, been trying to get either for the last six months, and they cost me a fortune, you get the picture.

The instructions with the culture do not mention changing any of the medium or how to split it, just that you should top it up with pure apple cider vinegar if it gets low. they also say strain 25% (about half a pint in total) every day and use the resulting eels, do this for 7-10 days then add a 2cm cube of apple and rest for two weeks. There is no way this will be enough to feed a growing brood of betta fry. And to add to my worries, I have lost over half the culture and I don't know why.

The bottom of the jar is littered with dead eels, the surface is covered in scummy slime, and the remaining eels are all at the top trying to breathe. I have no idea what to do, or how to make another batch of culture medium so I can try to transfer some of the remaining eels, because the instructions on the internet are all different and I don't know who to listen to. I posted in the betta forum days ago asking for advice but nobody has answered with any information. SURELY there must be somebody on this forum who has bred egglaying fish that produce small fry and has some experience culturing vinegar eels... I don't know what to do, I'm going to lose the whole culture at this rate and then I'm going to have to pull my betta pair because I will have nothing to feed the fry. :shout:

SOMEBODY help me. PLEASE!
 
Hi Vinegar eels will do for the 1st week but after that I would move onto Microworm as there is more nutrition in it (I only used the vinegar eels on killi fry as they are a lot smaller that betta fry).

Hopefully this site will help with the culture maintenance.

[URL="http://www.petfish.net/veels.htm"]http://www.petfish.net/veels.htm[/URL]

I've had eels but I wasn't keen on the idea of possibly getting vinegar into my tanks so stick to infusoria and then onto walter worms/microworm cultures (walter are fractionally smaller than micro), and I found vinegar eels a pain to keep going (as you've found).

Does your culture bottle have a vent for the content to breath through, also I never used pure apple cider but diluted it as per the instructions on the attached site.

Check out the comments at the bottom of the attached page with regards to advise from Killitalk.

Hope it all helps and good luck.
 
Thanks Amerce... unfortunately vinegar eels are my only option as neither microworms nor walter worms are available in Australia. It's very, very hard to get any starter cultures of anything at all, actually.
 
I'd offer to send you some but I know what the restrictions are like with regards to live products, visited my son last year and I couldn't believe the number of items on the restricted list (I couldn't take him any snacks over at all but I could take them out).

Get some natural infusoria going as well so that the fry can feed on that in conjuction with the eels.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top