Video Video of new little CPD babies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'll talk American and say 85-86℉.
If you're some way off that, when you get your adjustable heater, go up a degree an hour.

As for the salt, with all due respect to those who say 'no' to salt, they don't know what they're talking about.
Our fresh tap water is almost totally salt-free.
Lake, river and stream water isn't...although by'salt', I don't mean sodium chloride. Lots of minerals are present.
Aquarium salt is the closest thing we have to try and represent those minerals, on the cheap and, I think if you did a mega survey, most aquarists would say that salt is a wonderful thing for aquarium and fish care.
Like anything, it can be abused and overused, but generally, it is A Good Thing.

With regards ich, or any other external parasite, they really REALLY don't like salt and it will retard any ich reproduction. Think 2 teaspoons per 5 gallon.
You add the salt to the tank and remember to add the same equivalent dosage to any fresh water added when you water-change.

NOTE that some brands of aquarium salt seem harder to dissolve than others. I mix mine with very hot water from the kettle in a bucket, to ensure that it is fully dissolved, before adding it to the tank...once it has cooled down a little, of course! ;)

Given the apparent fragility of your little fish, you could try just the heat treatment first, to see if there's any improvement.
If there isn't, then you could try the salt.
Keep an eye on them and good luck.

I'll talk American and say 85-86℉.
If you're some way off that, when you get your adjustable heater, go up a degree an hour.

As for the salt, with all due respect to those who say 'no' to salt, they don't know what they're talking about.
Our fresh tap water is almost totally salt-free.
Lake, river and stream water isn't...although by'salt', I don't mean sodium chloride. Lots of minerals are present.
Aquarium salt is the closest thing we have to try and represent those minerals, on the cheap and, I think if you did a mega survey, most aquarists would say that salt is a wonderful thing for aquarium and fish care.
Like anything, it can be abused and overused, but generally, it is A Good Thing.

With regards ich, or any other external parasite, they really REALLY don't like salt and it will retard any ich reproduction. Think 2 teaspoons per 5 gallon.
You add the salt to the tank and remember to add the same equivalent dosage to any fresh water added when you water-change.

NOTE that some brands of aquarium salt seem harder to dissolve than others. I mix mine with very hot water from the kettle in a bucket, to ensure that it is fully dissolved, before adding it to the tank...once it has cooled down a little, of course! ;)

Given the apparent fragility of your little fish, you could try just the heat treatment first, to see if there's any improvement.
If there isn't, then you could try the salt.
Keep an eye on them and good luck.
Many years ago when I kept Cichlids I added salt.
But back then I also did everything very wrong as I followed whatever the person at my LFS told me because it was back in the days before the internet was what it is today.
I will try the heat alone first.
I only see a total of three spots but I know those nasty little suckers fall off into the substrate and multiply...so gross.
I hope that the infection stays small until my adjustable heater gets here.
I feel bad for my shrimp who's berried...not a great time for child rearing!

To treat white spot, raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the white spots have gone. It has to be 30C/ 86F or slightly higher otherwise the parasites don't die.

Salt does nothing to white spot.

I have a lot of experience with CPDs. From what I've seen, they often come with parasites and other problems when you buy them from a store. I'm not sure wha the issue is, but may be it has to do with how they are bred or they are more susceptible for some reason. I found I had to quarantine them when I bought them and use the Aquarium Co Op Quarantine Trio meds on them and then they did fine. They are pretty easy to breed yourself. Once I got several that survived, I just starting breeding my own and they seem much healthier than the ones I buy at the store. That's how I've increased my numbers of CPDs. Most of the ones I bought from the store didn't make it.

I have a lot of experience with CPDs. From what I've seen, they often come with parasites and other problems when you buy them from a store. I'm not sure wha the issue is, but may be it has to do with how they are bred or they are more susceptible for some reason. I found I had to quarantine them when I bought them and use the Aquarium Co Op Quarantine Trio meds on them and then they did fine. They are pretty easy to breed yourself. Once I got several that survived, I just starting breeding my own and they seem much healthier than the ones I buy at the store. That's how I've increased my numbers of CPDs. Most of the ones I bought from the store didn't make it.
Well darn!
I wish I lived closer to you so I could get them from you!
Such a tiny delicate little fish.
To see them unwell is super sad.
Although it's not stopping them from trying to eat the shrimpletts in my tank!
I'm use to keeping ember tetra and they never even thought to bother the shrimps and or the babies.

Oh and awesome name, btw 😄

I've kept and bred CPD's.
There is something strange and unidentified going on in CPD's nowadays with several and different symptoms. I've never managed to save fish that showed these symptoms but luckily not all fish got sick .
Several threads have come around on other forums.

Short : It is a known issue, but what is causing it is still a mistery.

I've kept and bred CPD's.
There is something strange and unidentified going on in CPD's nowadays with several and different symptoms. I've never managed to save fish that showed these symptoms but luckily not all fish got sick .
Several threads have come around on other forums.

Short : It is a known issue, but what is causing it is still a mistery.
Oh man, that's so sad.
I suppose like anything else that becomes popular...
they get bred into oblivion with little to no regard of the health and well being of the critter.

Oh man, that's so sad.
I suppose like anything else that becomes popular...
they get bred into oblivion with little to no regard of the health and well being of the critter.
Strange thing is that they are quite "new" in the hobby.

Strange thing is that they are quite "new" in the hobby.
I didn't realize that.
I know there are a lot of different danios...Back in the 90's when I wanted a tank for my first house and got roped into the biggest and best one they had ...they also sold me 8 danios to "cycle the tank with".
I cringe at that thought these days. But I listed to everything "bob" told me.
He was very enthusiastic about fish ...so much so I remember he was always sweating and just wouldn't take a breath.
Come to think about it he was probably hopped up on goofballs.
Anyway, I thought he knew everything and that it was normal to be in the fish store every weekend buying chemicals and new fish and whatnot.
That was my impression and I'm thinking that breeders are churning them out to meet demand, striking whilst the iron's hot, as it were.
Kind of like "doodle dogs".
Every dog is a doodle these days
Oddly enough the guy that bred different breeds with poodles and called everything a doodle said it was the biggest mistake he ever made.

Celestial pearl danios appeared on the market in 2006 but they were called galaxy rasboras back then because a name was needed quickly and the taxonomists hadn't had time to work on them yet. At first they were all wild caught, but tank bred cpd's soon appeared.

Celestial pearl danios appeared on the market in 2006 but they were called galaxy rasboras back then because a name was needed quickly and the taxonomists hadn't had time to work on them yet. At first they were all wild caught, but tank bred cpd's soon appeared.
Interesting. I see the shrimp in your pic…do you keep them? Have you ever kept CPD with them?
im learning they are quite the little hunters …even as babies.

I had cpd's when they were fairly new but I didn't start keeping shrimps till after they'd all passed on, so I've no experience of keeping the two together, I'm afraid.

I have donzens of shrimp in my CPD tank with 16 CPDs. I've never noticed them preying on the shrimp, even the babies. What are you feeding the CPDs. Maybe they are unusually hungry and don't like or eat the food they being given? Or maybe a parasite is keeping them hungry?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back