Video Video of new little CPD babies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

thrujenseyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m placing this in the right a place but I thought Iā€™d share a video and pics of the new babies.

I called ahead to make sure the LFS had CPD and they said yes so I drove an hour and the entire tank was dead and or dying.
I showed them and they acted surprisedā€¦but how do you not realize 50 some fish are floating?!

so I called two weeks later and asked a bunch of questions about the health of the batch.
I got there and they didnā€™t look well.
super skinny.
I should have left but I purchased 5, figuring Iā€™d lose a couple.
I lost the first 6 days later.
I have 4 now and theyā€™re definitely looking better but theyā€™re still pretty skinny.
They eat a good amount and are active so hopefully theyā€™ll be ok.

strange side note ā€¦.even at this teeeeeny size Iā€™ve seen them go after baby shrimpletts!
I didnā€™t expect that. 23546C77-BF46-490C-9D3D-55AFEEE0AFB8.jpeg

I had problems with a recent batch of cpd as well. 3 out of the 6 I purchased had wonky spines and were swimming oddly. They didn't last two weeks. Now I inspect the fish they net out for me.
My lfs tends towards fish on the thin side, as they only feed 2 times a week, unless the fish are very young or breeding. Helps keep their tanks cleaner between their weekly changes.

I had problems with a recent batch of cpd as well. 3 out of the 6 I purchased had wonky spines and were swimming oddly. They didn't last two weeks. Now I inspect the fish they net out for me.
My lfs tends towards fish on the thin side, as they only feed 2 times a week, unless the fish are very young or breeding. Helps keep their tanks cleaner between their weekly changes.
Not only are they skinny but after super close inspection by way of slow mo video and zooooom Iā€™m pretty sure they also have ich.
I didnā€™t think it was possible when they are THIS small but they clearly have risen white dots like sand. So Iā€™m sure theyā€™re all goners.
what a bummer.

Not only are they skinny but after super close inspection by way of slow mo video and zooooom Iā€™m pretty sure they also have ich.
I didnā€™t think it was possible when they are THIS small but they clearly have risen white dots like sand. So Iā€™m sure theyā€™re all goners.
what a bummer.
Ich isn't always fatal. Clean the tank with a big water change and raise the temperature. 86/30 degrees for two weeks, or at least a week after the last spot has gone.

Ich isn't always fatal. Clean the tank with a big water change and raise the temperature. 86/30 degrees for two weeks, or at least a week after the last spot has gone.
Theyā€™re tiny babies!!
I just did a huge water change but I canā€™t raise the temp as my little fluval edge thermostat is only set to one temp!
Iā€™ll have to go out tomorrow and try to find ine thst will fit in my fluval edge 6 gallon.
Any suggestions?!
Iā€™ve never had ich beforeā€¦ can my shrimp or snail get it?!

Great work with the water change.
Sorry I wouldn't know what heater to recommend. Mine are adjustable but for bigger tanks.
Snails and shrimp won't catch ich but any/all fish in the tank can so that is why you treat the whole tank to eradicate it.

Great work with the water change.
Sorry I wouldn't know what heater to recommend. Mine are adjustable but for bigger tanks.
Snails and shrimp won't catch ich but any/all fish in the tank can so that is why you treat the whole tank to eradicate it.
Theyā€™re my only fish and theyā€™re new as of two weeks ago šŸ˜‘ I knew they didnā€™t look well. But I bought them anyway thinking I could fatten them up. I didnā€™t even consider parasites because theyā€™re sooo darn small you can barely see the fish!
no pet stores near me carry small adjustable heaters so Iā€™ll have to order from Amazon and it will take a couple days.
fingers crossed šŸ¤žšŸ¼

FWIW this is my CPDs favourite food https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GB7G3M/?tag=. It is tiny and floats for ages so you need to turn the filter off for 10 minutes after feeding - they are slow feeders. They also like algae wafers but have a hard time finding them, I usually put these into a little saucer for them (soak for a few minutes first) so they can find it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've been staring at the video for a while and your fish might not have ich.
They do appear to have an excessive mucous coat, (appearing as a grey film) and some of those seen have clamped fins, (tails and/or dorsals), so they ain't currently happy.
From your description, these fish have had a bad experience and the stress of that may have caused some permanent damage, (I'm thinking ammonia toxicity). As a species, these can be quite reclusive and do better in a well-planted tank, (so more trauma imposed by being in the shop tank).

You've now got them in a clean tank, cycled to the point of managing the waste and have conducted regular water changes, complete with water conditioner...all good and a positive improvement on their previous situation.

That said, you do NEED heaters that you can adjust the temperature, for reasons that could take up a whole post! Celestial Pearl Danios can thrive in waters upto 26ā„ƒ and, for a short period, upto 27/28ā„ƒ and increasing water temperatures is one way of managing ich, if that's what they do have.

FWIW this is my CPDs favourite food https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000GB7G3M/?tag=. It is tiny and floats for ages so you need to turn the filter off for 10 minutes after feeding - they are slow feeders. They also like algae wafers but have a hard time finding them, I usually put these into a little saucer for them (soak for a few minutes first) so they can find it.
Great tip thank you!
They actually LOVE the food Iā€™m feeding right now (new life spectrum optimum) And despite what Iā€™ve read about them being difficult feeders that donā€™t really chase food these guys definitely do they go straight up to the top when I feed and they eat all the food that they can at the top and then chase it all the way down and hunt for it inside the plants and in the wood and around the crevices they go everywhere.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've been staring at the video for a while and your fish might not have ich.
They do appear to have an excessive mucous coat, (appearing as a grey film) and some of those seen have clamped fins, (tails and/or dorsals), so they ain't currently happy.
From your description, these fish have had a bad experience and the stress of that may have caused some permanent damage, (I'm thinking ammonia toxicity). As a species, these can be quite reclusive and do better in a well-planted tank, (so more trauma imposed by being in the shop tank).

You've now got them in a clean tank, cycled to the point of managing the waste and have conducted regular water changes, complete with water conditioner...all good and a positive improvement on their previous situation.

That said, you do NEED heaters that you can adjust the temperature, for reasons that could take up a whole post! Celestial Pearl Danios can thrive in waters upto 26ā„ƒ and, for a short period, upto 27/28ā„ƒ and increasing water temperatures is one way of managing ich, if that's what they do have.

I do not think they had ick when I took this video, which was three days ago.

I saw the first spots yesterday.
But you are correct they definitely have clamped fins but their scales seem to look healthy to me other than the few spots that Iā€™ve seen m.
one fish appears to have three spots and another only appears to have one.

I will try to take a slow motion video of them today so I can try to zoom in and I will post it to see what you think. I very much appreciate you taking a look at this video and giving me your opinion.

I did order an adjustable heater last night from Amazon Iā€™m hoping it will be here tomorrow.

I had a struggle trying to find the correct heater for this tank when I purchased it they do actually make a little fluval heater that fits into the 6 gallon edge and is basically undetectable but the downfall of that is that it set at a specific temp.

Here are a couple shots that I snagged from a video (trying to catch images of these fish are near impossible).
You can see the spot on the top of the first ones head and it clearly stands out above the body.
And the second two shots you can se the spot right about mid fish and it also stands out.
I've only seen a few spots but I know that can quickly change.
Also I don't think their fins are as clamped as they were when I got them.
Although it's hard to tell in these shots

IMG_3474.JPGIMG_3471.JPGIMG_3472.JPG

Here are a couple shots that I snagged from a video (trying to catch images of these fish are near impossible).
You can see the spot on the top of the first ones head and it clearly stands out above the body.
And the second two shots you can se the spot right about mid fish and it also stands out.
I've only seen a few spots but I know that can quickly change.
Also I don't think their fins are as clamped as they were when I got them.
Although it's hard to tell in these shots

View attachment 142323View attachment 142324View attachment 142325
Dang! That does look ichy, so cranking up the temperature would be the way to go.
I know some in here are very resistent to meds, but ich can be treated by contemporary medications.
However, given the youth and apparent fragility of these fish, I'd advise against any meds other than salt.

Edit: For literacy.:oops:

Dang! That does look ichy, so cranking up the temperature would be the way to go.
I know some in here are very resistent to meds, but ich can be treated by contemporary medications.
However, given the youth and apparent fragility of these fish, I'd advise against any meds other than salt.

Edit: For literacy.:oops:
Ha about the literacy...I'm a huge literacy failure half the time when typing out a message and always hit send too soon.

About the ick...So Yes, they are tiny babies AND my other inhabitants are cherry shrimp, amano shrimp and one nerite snail (Oh and one of the cherry shrimp are berried...there were babies a few days ago but the CPD's are going hard at them so they may be no more).

What temp and should I add salt?
I see a lot of people say no to salt.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back