I moved my tanks around a couple of weeks ago to get the new bigger one in a better position. The tanks have been cycled from the beginning with mature filter media.
However, last night when we tested the water (my test kit is Nutrafin Essential mini master kit), it came back with slightly pink reading for the nitrites, which I thought was between 0.1 and 0.3 mg/L but my husband thought was 0.1 or below! (I find it difficult to compare a liquid colour to the solid colour on the page to decide which it is?!)
The tank was moved and refilled on 15th November, the mature filter media put back in and 40% of the original water put back in, along with the remaining 60% tap water of correct temp. treated with Nutrafin Aquaplus. The Leopard frog plec was put straight in, as he is so difficult to catch. The other fish were put in my 125 fluval roma tank.
On the 16th Nov. we tested the water, all tests were fine, so we moved the 3 rosy barbs over to the 180 litre tank.
On 21st November we then moved the angelfish into the 180 litre tank and bought a paradise fish to go in there too.
Before the move the tank contained 3 rosy barbs, 1 ancistrus, 6 cardinals, 7 guppys, 1 angelfish and 1 leopard frog plec and 2 amano shrimps without any water problems at all!
I thought the filter media would be fine with the small amount of fish in there now, so was very surprised that it's showing nitrites.
We do weekly 20% water changes on both tanks, vaccing the gravel at the same time.
Both tanks are planted, but not excessively (planted bogwood, a few bunches of amazon swords, a couple of vallis and one plant which grows from an onion like bulb).
Anyway we did a 20% water change and will test and do another tonight.
Do I need to worry about the fish?
Also I was planning on adding 4 black widow tetras on Friday that I have reserved at my LFS, I'm loathe to do so if the water isn't quite right. What do you think?
Thanks for help.
By the way, I ordered last night the API Liquid Nitrite Test Kit and the API Freshwater/Saltwater Liquid Ammonia test kit, in the hope that they are slightly easier to read than the Nutrafin one.
However, last night when we tested the water (my test kit is Nutrafin Essential mini master kit), it came back with slightly pink reading for the nitrites, which I thought was between 0.1 and 0.3 mg/L but my husband thought was 0.1 or below! (I find it difficult to compare a liquid colour to the solid colour on the page to decide which it is?!)
The tank was moved and refilled on 15th November, the mature filter media put back in and 40% of the original water put back in, along with the remaining 60% tap water of correct temp. treated with Nutrafin Aquaplus. The Leopard frog plec was put straight in, as he is so difficult to catch. The other fish were put in my 125 fluval roma tank.
On the 16th Nov. we tested the water, all tests were fine, so we moved the 3 rosy barbs over to the 180 litre tank.
On 21st November we then moved the angelfish into the 180 litre tank and bought a paradise fish to go in there too.
Before the move the tank contained 3 rosy barbs, 1 ancistrus, 6 cardinals, 7 guppys, 1 angelfish and 1 leopard frog plec and 2 amano shrimps without any water problems at all!
I thought the filter media would be fine with the small amount of fish in there now, so was very surprised that it's showing nitrites.
We do weekly 20% water changes on both tanks, vaccing the gravel at the same time.
Both tanks are planted, but not excessively (planted bogwood, a few bunches of amazon swords, a couple of vallis and one plant which grows from an onion like bulb).
Anyway we did a 20% water change and will test and do another tonight.
Do I need to worry about the fish?
Also I was planning on adding 4 black widow tetras on Friday that I have reserved at my LFS, I'm loathe to do so if the water isn't quite right. What do you think?
Thanks for help.
By the way, I ordered last night the API Liquid Nitrite Test Kit and the API Freshwater/Saltwater Liquid Ammonia test kit, in the hope that they are slightly easier to read than the Nutrafin one.








