Very Sick Cory - Red Blotch Disease?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FashionFish

Reaction score
Hey there,
Unfortunately, we have a larger problem. The smaller fish that I thought was being "roughed" up is very red. I was repeating water changes and he seemed to improve. But now he has regressed and our other fish are showing red marks and flashing. I am really concerned as I can't find a lot about definitive cures for Red Blotch Disease. I am hoping I can find someone who has actually healed a fish from this. I can post more on this in the tropical fish emergency. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_7865.PNG
    IMG_7865.PNG
    415.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3239.PNG
    IMG_3239.PNG
    615.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see any red blotches in the picture of those fish, although the bronze is looking unwell for sure. Excess mucus, skinny etc. What are the test results for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?

How large are the water changes you're doing? A rough percentage of the total water changed, you know.

I can't see any red blotches in the picture of those fish, although the bronze is looking unwell for sure. Excess mucus, skinny etc. What are the test results for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?

How large are the water changes you're doing? A rough percentage of the total water changed, you know.
hi, sorry for the crummy pics. the sterbai red armpits - just beginning in the last few days.

I've been doing 10 - 20% water changes every other day since this began.

the ammonia is almost at 0
the nitrite is at 0
the nitrate is at 10

Hi there, one of our bronze corys has become quite sick. I was repeating water changes and he seemed to improve. But now he has regressed and our other fish are showing red marks and flashing. I am really concerned as I can't find a lot about definitive cures for Red Blotch Disease. If that is in fact what is going on here. I am hoping I can find someone who has actually healed a fish from this. Any advice is really helpful. Thank you
(Forgive us in advance for the bad pics)

Attachments

• IMG_3239.PNG
    IMG_3239.PNG
    615.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7865.PNG
    IMG_7865.PNG
    415.9 KB · Views: 37
hi, sorry for the crummy pics. the sterbai red armpits - just beginning in the last few days.

I've been doing 10 - 20% water changes every other day since this began.

the ammonia is almost at 0
the nitrite is at 0
the nitrate is at 10

No worries about the pics, I posted a load of blurry pics in my own thread earlier because my camera settings get messed up and I got sick of trying to fix it and figured the blurry ones would do for now, lol! Photographing fish is never easy. :)

The ammonia being almost at zero is much more likely to be the issue. Ammonia is toxic to fish and any amount over zero is a serious problem. You need to do much larger water changes routinely, and even more so anytime ammonia or nitrites are above zero. Means water changing until that goes to zero, so the larger water changes will dilute the remaining ammonia much more, you know? If you only change 10% of the water, you're leaving 90% of the ammonia in there. So do an emergency water change, changing 70-75% of the total water volume. Wait an hour and then test again. If ammonia is still above zero, do another water change. Don't be scared of changing good amounts of water, fresh clean water is essential for healthy fish, and even more important when they're ailing. Needs to be as pristine as possible. Give the substrate a good clean at the same time, wipe down the tank walks inside, make sure there aren't any dead plants/fish/snails that could be spiking ammonia, and rinse the filter media in the tank water you removed during the water change to clean the filter sponges etc, never under the tap. This should help reduce any nasties that are plaguing the fish. (hat tip to @Colin_T since this is his advice I'm repeating here!)

If you use a declorinator and make sure to temperature match the new water to the tank temp before adding it, then doing large water changes won't harm the fish, trust me. But that ammonia needs to be brought back to zero, and bear in mind that it might have been higher earlier before testing, but plants/filter bacteria have processed some. So the ammonia might have been higher earlier, and fish still suffer the ill effects from that ammonia spike. Don't always recover immediately. But fresh clean water ASAP is the very first and best step! So please do that 75% asap, wait an hour to test again, then let us know the test results. Hopefully we can fix this since you came here, hopefully in time :)

Thank you AdoraBelle! - Do you think that with consistent clean water the fish can fight this off? We also have a golden albino bristlenose pleco in here with some shrimp and snails. Most of our guys have been with us for years and I really hope this doesn't affect them.

I tested again for the ammonia and nitrates.
Ammonia is still almost at 0. So close.
And the Nitrates are now at 5.

We cleaned the filter socks yesterday and rinsed out the substrate. I have enough water available for a 20% water change tonight.

I checked the heat of the tank. Right now it at it is about 77°-78F (25°C).

Thank you again!

Thank you AdoraBelle! - Do you think that with consistent clean water the fish can fight this off?
No problem, we're here because we want to help! :D I'm no expert with illness or fishkeeping, so don't rely solely on my word (or anyone else's for that matter, unless the source is credible!) just trying to help troubleshoot what the problem might be, and give some emergency first aid advice to hopefully keep them going until someone more knowledgeable comes along, or we learn new info from you that paints a bigger picture. Anytime there's a problem with a tank, a large water change should almost always be the first step.

I'm not convinced that it's red blotch disease. Have you added anything new to the tank recently? New fish, plants, anything? If you google ammonia and nitrite poisoning in fish, you'll see that redness like that can also be a symptom of ammonia or nitrite poisoning. In those cases, yes, frequent large water changes are all you can do to save them, and have to hope any damage they sustained from the ammonia/nitrite wasn't too severe and they can recover. If it's any other disease or harmful organism, fresh clean water, often, can still help them fight off whatever is ailing them. The clean water conditions and tank helps reduce the harmful organisms, and boosts the fishes immune system, hopefully buying some time while you try to figure out what's gone wrong.
I tested again for the ammonia and nitrates.
Ammonia is still almost at 0. So close.
And the Nitrates are now at 5.
Was this after a water change? How much water did you change? Which test kit?
We cleaned the filter socks yesterday and rinsed out the substrate. I have enough water available for a 20% water change tonight.
Rinsed the substrate how? Removed it from the tank?

What do you mean about only having enough water to do a 20% change? Do you use RO then? If so, would be good if you could stock up on it ASAP.
Sorry for all the questions! Just since we can't actually see the tank and fish ourselves, means we have to rely solely on what you tell us, and since a lot of things can potentially go wrong in an aquarium, means we have to pelt you with questions - I'm sorry!

Hi Adorabelle,

Do not mind the questions at all! I am grateful for the the help.

We did the 20% water change (10 US Gallons) And ordered more water to be delivered.
We are using an API Freshwater test kit. The water is currently testing at:
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
(Adding photo)

Removed filter media and rinsed thoroughly. Also added fresh carbon.

We combined our tanks in the house and put together in a larger tank. The tank was fully cycled. We added them gradually after the tank was ready.
We did add new plants.

Thank you again for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_7876.jpg
    IMG_7876.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 22
No problem, we're here because we want to help! :D I'm no expert with illness or fishkeeping, so don't rely solely on my word (or anyone else's for that matter, unless the source is credible!) just trying to help troubleshoot what the problem might be, and give some emergency first aid advice to hopefully keep them going until someone more knowledgeable comes along, or we learn new info from you that paints a bigger picture. Anytime there's a problem with a tank, a large water change should almost always be the first step.

I'm not convinced that it's red blotch disease. Have you added anything new to the tank recently? New fish, plants, anything? If you google ammonia and nitrite poisoning in fish, you'll see that redness like that can also be a symptom of ammonia or nitrite poisoning. In those cases, yes, frequent large water changes are all you can do to save them, and have to hope any damage they sustained from the ammonia/nitrite wasn't too severe and they can recover. If it's any other disease or harmful organism, fresh clean water, often, can still help them fight off whatever is ailing them. The clean water conditions and tank helps reduce the harmful organisms, and boosts the fishes immune system, hopefully buying some time while you try to figure out what's gone wrong.

Was this after a water change? How much water did you change? Which test kit?

Rinsed the substrate how? Removed it from the tank?

What do you mean about only having enough water to do a 20% change? Do you use RO then? If so, would be good if you could stock up on it ASAP.
Sorry for all the questions! Just since we can't actually see the tank and fish ourselves, means we have to rely solely on what you tell us, and since a lot of things can potentially go wrong in an aquarium, means we have to pelt you with questions - I'm sorry!
I just realized that I told you I rinsed the substrate... I meant the media in the filter. Soil is live soil. Sorry to confuse.

Hi Adorabelle,

Do not mind the questions at all! I am grateful for the the help.

We did the 20% water change (10 US Gallons) And ordered more water to be delivered.
We are using an API Freshwater test kit. The water is currently testing at:
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
(Adding photo)

Removed filter media and rinsed thoroughly. Also added fresh carbon.

We combined our tanks in the house and put together in a larger tank. The tank was fully cycled. We added them gradually after the tank was ready.
We did add new plants.

Thank you again for your help.

How are the fish acting now? Any further symptoms?
Do you think you can get or order some Seachem Prime? Unlike ordinary declorinators, Prime binds ammonia and nitrite for 24-48 hours, so it can help to keep the fish safe inbetween water changes while you try to resolve the issue. Prime seems pricey, but you only need a tiny amount, so it lasts for a long time, and it's really useful for situations like this. I wish I'd thought to suggest this the other day, I'm sorry.

Filter media - Do you mean you rinsed it under the tap? because that may the source of the issues!

Better if you can get to a fish store and get hold of some Prime asap, ideally, but I realise that's not always possible.

How are the fish acting now? Any further symptoms?
Do you think you can get or order some Seachem Prime? Unlike ordinary declorinators, Prime binds ammonia and nitrite for 24-48 hours, so it can help to keep the fish safe inbetween water changes while you try to resolve the issue. Prime seems pricey, but you only need a tiny amount, so it lasts for a long time, and it's really useful for situations like this. I wish I'd thought to suggest this the other day, I'm sorry.

Filter media - Do you mean you rinsed it under the tap? because that may the source of the issues!
Yup! We use Prime too. We primed all the water we used.

Today, we have a few guys that were flashing and we did lose a cory :(

Yup! We use Prime too. We primed all the water we used.

Today, we have a few guys that were flashing and we did lose a cory :(
Dang, I'm sorry :(

Weird that the cory passed despite using the prime, but you never know what damage may have been done internally if there had been an ammonia spike. But if it's RO you're using, then the ammonia isn't coming from the source water (sometimes tap water can give a low ammonia reading due to ammonium in the water).
I'm suspecting it was an ammonia spike based on there still being ammonia readings and the fish symptoms, but it's still possible it's something else. So can we try to get a larger picture please?

Tank size, so it's a 50 US gallon?
Total stocking?
When were fish added? Were they only fish you already owned, or any new ones bought in?
What filter are you using? Do you change filter media out, like cartridges? How do clean the filter media?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back