Very sad goldfish in urgent need of home, West Kent

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

xhan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've had fish and we're not planning on starting a tank for a few years. We were recently offered a tank by a friend but it comes with the saddest goldfish I have ever seen. We plan to do use the tank eventually but we're in no position to look after this poor fish right now and would like him to go to a good home where he'll be loved and cared for properly.

He's about 5" in length and doesn't have much colour on him (the filter and tank situation is dire)

Is anyone able to collect him from the west kent area?

The longer he's with us the less proper care he's getting, if theres somewhere else I could be posting this as well I'd really appreciate it!

IMG_7308.jpg

IMG_7309.jpg

Last edited:
can you post a picture of the fish?
it might excite the others and maybe someone can come and get it.

the other option is to give it to a pet shop

can you post a picture of the fish?
it might excite the others and maybe someone can come and get it.

the other option is to give it to a pet shop

You read my mind! I was just downstairs taking a photo of him and measuring up the tank as well in case he ends up being with us for longer so we can get him some lights and more air in the tank etc!

Photos added to the post!

I'm not keen on giving him to a fish shop, I'd rather keep him (and get everything he needs) while finding someone to care for him than give him to a fish shop - I feel cold water fish, while not my fish of choice, get a bit of a bad lot in fish shops and he's a big boy too! I can't bear the thought of him being alone in there unadopted, he's already been through so much just getting him in to our house!

The fish appears to be suffering early symptoms of Red Pest/Red Spot

@Colin_T will, I am sure be able to confirm this and point you towards a suitable treatment since it does look like early signs of it and potentially you can maybe save the fish

I really wish I wasn't so attached to this fish @wasmewasntit :(

Expect an incoming post in the coldwater fish section!

It's a nice looking fish and a good sized tank. Maybe you were meant to keep it, nudge nudge wink wink :)

---------------------
I don't think it has a bacterial infection. It does have a couple of red dots by the tail that could be colouration or blood. Another red dot on the nose that looks like colouration.

There is pale pink spot with 2 grey dots. It is located about half way between the back of the head and the start of the dorsal fin. I want a closer look at that because it might be a fish louse (Argulus). These can leave small red dots where they feed.

Naming the fish....tsk tsk tsk.....its staying with you now....pond already planned for the garden too? ;)

well you see its funny you mention that because we have just moved and need to do some work in the garden when we extend the patio, a pond would look amazing there...

oh man this fish is basically ours now isn't he! My OH has just said if he's going to stay he doesn't want to keep this tank (we weren't going to say no to a free tank) and is already looking at a nicer one twice the size for him and if we can get him feeling better possibly a friend! (he gets as attached to them as I do!)

well you see its funny you mention that because we have just moved and need to do some work in the garden when we extend the patio, a pond would look amazing there...

oh man this fish is basically ours now isn't he! My OH has just said if he's going to stay he doesn't want to keep this tank (we weren't going to say no to a free tank) and is already looking at a nicer one twice the size for him and if we can get him feeling better possibly a friend! (he gets as attached to them as I do!)
Start planning and visualising that pond...with a waterfall....and water lillies.....and be extra nice to the hubby cos he has a hole to dig :lol: ;)

Treatment has started though I've literally just now read that it could affect the filter media and should be done in a separate tank!

does methylene blue affect water test results!?

Still trying to sort out lighting and a lid combo - I'm lost! and we need a new filter - I'm not sure how much longer that filter has left!

IMG_7390.jpg

Methylene Blue kills beneficial filter bacteria and stains silicon blue. It doesn't damage the silicon, just makes it a different colour :)

Unless you plan on having live plants in the tank, you don't need anything special for lighting. Just something to view the fish in the evening.

Most power filters last for years if they are cleaned regularly.

He might do with a friend, but only if the tank is big enough. He looks lovely :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back