Very fat platy fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

afish

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got 4 platies (1 male, 2 female & 1 baby male). I am worried because both of my female (especially one of them) is very fat. I feet them with Dajana mini tropical pellets :
  • crude protein - 50%
  • crude fibre - 2%
  • crude oil & fats- 9%
  • crude ash - 7%
  • moisture - 8%
I feed them once every two days. Also I've got a plant I see them eating. Also when I put a sinking wafer for my catfish (loricaria), I see them eating that too.

I'm very worried that they are not just pregnant.

Attachments

• IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1560.JPG
    IMG_1560.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1546.JPG
    IMG_1546.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1550.JPG
    IMG_1550.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 81
Are they balloon platies?
How long have they been fat for?
What does their poop look like?

The really fat one does not look normal and could have a growth in her, or she might have intestinal worms.

The slimmer one (not that she is slim) appears to be a normal gravid (pregnant) female.

Thank for the reply Colin_T.

So .. I've googled what is balloon platy and actually many of the examples online look very similar to what I've got.
I was concerned because when I search for platy I see the small ones compared to mine. But now when I found the ballon platy type - they are exactly as what I've got.

It is my fault I didn't research enough when I got them, but from the shop they just told me "a platy" and that's it.

- They've been like that for several months.
- The poop... hmm I don't know. Long, brownish.

I've watched the videos of those two guys and looks like they have the same fish as mine and people say it's ok:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QthLSAHZFVc

Balloon belly fish are designed to have curved spine. Terrible. Made in a lab. When I hear people at my LFS suggesting balloon belly mollies to someone, I say "Up yours! You wanna know what happens?"

Thats why I am banned from my local petco -_-

Could be pregnant

So I've just read on another forum that this is caused by inbreeding. Not good for the fish, and many people say that usually such fish dies within a month. But if lucky and take good care the fish can survive and live a happy life.

If they are balloon platies then that is their shape.

Balloon fish are genetic mutations that would normally die in the wild. However, they can survive in captivity because they don't have to deal with predators or changes in temperature and lack of food. If you keep the tank clean (regular partial water changes, gravel cleaning, and filter cleaning), they should live for a while.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back