Vertical fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Myrkk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a diamon headed tetra that for the last couple of days seems unable to swim on the horizontal. He is expending an enormous amount of energy trying to keep himself at a mid tank level in a vertical position.

Any suggestions?
We move house tomorrow and it's going to be stressful on the fish, so I'm wondering if there's anything we can do to help him back towards feeling more normal?

Thanks in advance.

Video of the fish?
Upload it to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

I never deliberately croak my own fish . I let them die on their own in their own time and in their own way . Euthanasia is state murder .
You have never watched someone slowly suffocate to death. If you had, you would be for euthanasia. You've probably never seen a terminally ill person or animal either. They struggle to breath, walk, move or do anything except lay there sucking air. Nobody should have to suffer like that when they can be euthanised so they are no longer suffering.

I worked in the veterinary industry for years. I can honestly say it is better to help an animal on its way than let it suffer and I've helped many animals pass to the rainbow bridge and watched many that should be but weren't because the owners couldn't bear to make the decision. I've also helped many that but for the cruelty of people should still be alive. It's a complicated area but for those animals that are suffering, euthanasia is a kindness.

As far as euthanasia for people, I used to be all for it until I experienced first hand how people treat you when you get an incurable disease. I'm not sure I trust Drs and Nurses in the same way I trust Vets. I say this because of watching Drs make decisions based on prejudices, you have COPD you brought this on yourself, actually you are now 65, we're not going to treat your neurological condition anymore due to cost efficiency and the number of years you might get from the treatment and you're a retiree so not a productive human anymore. Never think that we are thought of as anything other than farm animals. Getting cynical in my old age lol

I worked in the veterinary industry for years. I can honestly say it is better to help an animal on its way than let it suffer and I've helped many animals pass to the rainbow bridge and watched many that should be but weren't because the owners couldn't bear to make the decision. I've also helped many that but for the cruelty of people should still be alive. It's a complicated area but for those animals that are suffering, euthanasia is a kindness.

As far as euthanasia for people, I used to be all for it until I experienced first hand how people treat you when you get an incurable disease. I'm not sure I trust Drs and Nurses in the same way I trust Vets. I say this because of watching Drs make decisions based on prejudices, you have COPD you brought this on yourself, actually you are now 65, we're not going to treat your neurological condition anymore due to cost efficiency and the number of years you might get from the treatment and you're a retiree so not a productive human anymore. Never think that we are thought of as anything other than farm animals. Getting cynical in my old age lol
You are realistic. Unfortunately there are a lot of factors that influence those who might make those decisions, many of which we would not like or agree with and they usually know not to broadcast them. Sometimes it is as simple as blaming the victim in some way so they can return to believing life is fair. Sadly, then it may cloud their judgement of the person’s value and amount of effort and resources they put in to help them.

Sorry to revive this thread but I’ve had further fish do this, and now as of Friday, another 2 are doing the same. This seems a bit of a co-incidence, they’re all diamond headed tetras bought at the same time from the same store. In the last 8mths I’ve had around 6 or 7 do this.

Is there something that could be causing swim-bladder issues?

Most reactions

Back