Vegitarian GSPs?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Stryker

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi there, I've got some java fern in my GSP tank. The GSPs are around 1.5", eat well, have a varied diet, am fed every night.

However, my java ferns are perforated top to bottom by little bite holes. Me thinks one of my GSPs is a midnight snacker.

Does anyone else here have a problem with GSPs eating plants? or know why a GSP would feel inclined to eat plants? I just want to rule out something missing from their diet.

If there are any snails on the leaves, even small ones, then the GSPs will leave a hole in the plant whilst "attacking" these fearsome shelled creatures :p

Lithril said:
If there are any snails on the leaves, even small ones, then the GSPs will leave a hole in the plant whilst "attacking" these fearsome shelled creatures :p
good point, and very likely!

I know for a fact that GSP's tend to nip plants. It's just what they do, and that's why it's very hard to keep plants with them.

thanks godric. This has only happened in recent weeks. The snail theory is good but I only periodicly drop snails from my FW tanks and they get eaten before they leave the gravel, besides with a SG of 1.010 they'd not live that long anyway.

Its pretty decorative :D imagine a java fern leaf, then imagine several lines of circular bite holes going from top to bottom in PERFECT lines!

I'll get a pic to show you guys.

Ok, when I took the picture it seems since yesterday they got a little peckish and put more holes in, ruining their patterns for the most part..... little fatties :D

These pics were took with my phone for the convenience, sorry about the quality.

holes1.jpg

holes2.jpg

holes3.jpg

How often do you feed them? This could also be because they are being unfed and therefore have a tendency to nip fins and plants.

Every night, I vary the time, food and the quanitity (a little) but generally every night they have full tummies.

Thats why I thought there may of been something missing in their diet... cant think what tho as they have a very varied diet.

I get the distinct impression they noticed all the attention I was giving the plant life so they decided to "off" the opposition :D

I have seen other GSP owners describe this same behavior. I think they bite at any little discoloration or black spot in the hopes that it's food.

....although they may just be trying to do a little redecorating and are making puffer equivilant of Doileys :rofl:

They'd better not, I hate doileys :D

They are at SG 1.010 and I hope to have them at full SW within 6 months. I'm fed up of being in no mans land as far as vegitation and stock goes. So soon they can chow down on some macro algae, I've heard they like that :D

Stryker, that was funny...."They'd better not, I hate doileys." I'm with you there.

I am no expert on GSP and don't claim to be, but you may want to make sure you are not rushing them into full marine water. From what I have heard, they do not typically get into full marine until they are grown or almost fully grown. It seems you have some small ones right now, so maybe that would be to soon. Of course I could be wrong, but I wanted to let you know of this, so that you don't get a sick puffer or anything. May want to ask around and get an experienced fishkeepers advice as it would be better than mine or anyone else that is new to puffers.

Most reactions

Back