Vastibular disease.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dragonslair

Dragon.
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
:( I have a poorly doggie. I had to take her to the vets this morning. When I came downstairs this am. she way laying flat out on the floor amongst vomit and everything else associated with a stroke. Well that's what I thought. She had all the right symptoms. I thought it was going to be a one way journey. She couldn't walk stand and her eyes were flicking rapidly and constantly. I tel.the vets who came out to us within 1/2 an hour. Examined her and told us she was suffering from vastibular disease. Apparently it is a degeneration of the balance vessels in the inner ear. What the dog sees is a spinning world. Like a "annoying" big hangover that does not stop. In human terms it like talking to god on the big white telephone.lol :laugh: :laugh: Except a dog can't tell you that. However after several injections and some TLC, she has settled a lot. Vet told us she will need three injections a day for the next two/three days. She will probably make a 90 pc recovery, but like a piece of string how long before it occurs again is not certain. She is 14 yrs.old=98 human yrs old. I asked if she was better off being put to sleep, and he said no not at this time. The estimated bill is £500.00 for the complete treatment. I am doing the right thing arn't I?...Somebody please say yes..and that I'm not a mug. I have had her since she was a pup from a rescue centre and it would break my heart to have her put to sleep unnecessarily. Am I being selfish? My wife Marion is looking after her during the day while I'm at work.

I've told the missus about this and feels just as sorry as I do, but she's seen this all before.
One things she says is not to be selfish, you'll know when it's time in your heart. But the chances are good and she'll not be in pain after the treament. So go with it and try it. If it reoccurs quite eairly again then you may have to make the big desion.
Just remember you've had 14 years from her. A few more than you may have expected. So remember the happy days :)

Thanks Davy for that. Is Mrs. Davy a vet? or vetenaty nurse?
I think just like human nurses they do a fab job.

Na shes a lasy oaf :laugh: (I never said that)
She's worked at a few vets as a Vet nurse. Plus shes worked at SSPCA (scots version of RSPCA) her dad was also a game keeper, so she's always been around animals. Saying that her last job was a Dental nurse and nowadays she's talking about starting work as a midwife. Oh and last week it was an annsummers rep :laugh:

:D You're doing the right thing D/lair. My wife and I had the same dilema about 12 yrs ago. We had a border collie who had an infection at the base of one nostril, the vet had to cut open her skull to get at it. Anyway the dog recovered, but about 2 mths later the other nostril had the same problem - 2nd op also went OK. At the time the total treatment cost over £400, we had to overdraw the bank account to pay the bill! Like you the dog was about 13 yrs old at the time, sadly we lost her through her breaking her back about 6mths later. We would still do the same today, as having a pet for such a long time it is part of your family. I hope everything goes well and your pooch makes a full recovery. :thumbs: Mac.

ann summers rep Hmmmm. I was wondering why you hadn't been about as often  ;)  :laugh:  :laugh:

:( sorry about your pooch, when it comes to pets, money doesn't seem to be a problem, a bit like kids. I'm sure you'll do the right thing.

Thanks all for your support, and Davy, I guess that why the missus married you!! lol. :laugh: I hear you're a bit of an animal. Doggie is improving, had her next lot of injections today and some pink stuff to drink. She didn't like that at all. Had to syringe it into her mouth. Food wise ,injecting a 100 pc protein mush into her mouth. What a mess. Looks like a baby's nappy on a bad day.ehhh?
As the advert goes, she's worth it.

Ann Summers rep. huh. :laugh:
Good consolation: Plenty of toys!!!! :laugh:
A colleague at work(sorry I know that is a swear word :blush: ) does reping for AS and she comes in with weird and wonderful things. (take that any way you wish :grin: ;) )

Yeah she'd love to do the rep'in but just keeps putting it off. Basiclly I keep telling her she not fit to work anyway. So she stay's in the house like a good girl (only kidding all you women don't jump on the band wagon)

Oh and were not married YET :laugh: She'l get her way one day ;)

Oh Davy, you're treading on thin ice here. i have learnt in our 25 years of marriage that a woman will charm her own way. Either that or she just kick you in the nuts! and then say spherehical objects to you,assuming you have any left :laugh:
Metaphorically of course....
What is medically wrong with your good lady wife? If its a bad back, may I suggest you leave her alone and go to SLEEP at nights. Only kidding m8 :laugh: :laugh:

Several things, but the main one is a bad knee, which really needs a cartlidge replacement and a new knee cap. Because of this he back hurts. theres a few others as well but I couldn't type them here ;)

What have you been doing to her? Maybe I should't ask :blush: Does she drive?( apart from you mad) Rep'in should'nt pose too much of a problem. Or is it the girlie thing that bothers you. To be honest women together are far courser then men. Especially when it come to home partys. Thats the other thing. She will need to host parties a various venues including your own. It may make the fish blush. If she's up to it and she wants to earn a few pennies as long as she knows the initial outlay is far greater than her earnings will be. To start of with anyway and it get her out from the ball and chain, and she feels well enough to do it I say go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained. As we say in these parts "Shy bairns get nought".

I'm not bothered about her doing it. I think it would bhe a laugh, plus you get to try all the stuff. So it's better for me.
But no she can't drive, well yes she can but aint got a licence, plus they way her knee is I wouldn't be happy with her behind a wheel. It gives out to often, and under on strain to.
To be honist, I could do with the extra cash, sorry "we" :p She gets incopacity benifit but as you know it's not a lot, we tried for disability and got a knock back, even though the doctor said she was quite bad. She just had a check for her incopacity, and came out crying from the pain.
Most of it is getting her down. It feels like she has no purpose. I do everything around the hour 90% of the time

Yes Davy, I do sympathize with your predicament. How long ago did she try for DLA. If its over 6 months ago she can try again. Do you have dependants? If you work you may qualify for working families tax credit. They will take Mrs. Davys IB into account but it may be another avenue.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back