Vampire Plec Ulcer/skin Injury?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Joby

Hypan addict
Reaction score
I moved my beautiful vampire plec to a tank of his own a couple of days ago as I want to add others to him and they would need a bigger tank. He had an easy transfer, didn't get stuck in the net or anything.

Yesterday I went in to wake them up and saw something on his side :crazy: I believe that he tried to hide under a bit of bogwood that had sharp bits on it or do you think it could be something coming from his body? It really does look a greenish red colour too, ulcerated I thought or could he have been burnt on heater?

Anyone got any ideas what it could be? I have treated his tank with Esha 2000 to try and cover all bases. He had stopped eating though which is unusual for him but at first thought it was just the move but I guess he's not feeling well at all :unsure: I have also turned the piece of bogwood upside down so he can't get under it now or should I say try to get under it :rolleyes:

Vampireouch.jpg

That looks nasty.
Ulcers are pink or red with a circling of dead white skin around the edges.
Does the heater have a guard on it.
I would remove the bogwood if it has sharp edges.
The wound looks infected so done the right thing adding a bacterial med, though not keen on esha 2000.

Not got a guard on the heater and not sure it was this because of the position of the injury and length of the fish, don't think its feasable :unsure: which is why I assumed the bog wood. I'll find a difference piece for him and remove that one. He was such a happy sociable little chappy with a very good appetite and so sad to see him like this now, I really don't want to lose him :(

Can I ask why you are not keen on Esha? I have had great success with it in the past :good:

Do you think the bogwood rub on him and caused the nasty patch which look like its gotten infected.
The esha med think they say it treat more than it actually does, I had no luck with it, if it works for you fine.

I am edging for an injury as he was moved on Saturday afternoon absolutely fine, no injuries. Into a 3 foot bare tank with a cycled filter from his current tank and a piece of bogwood that had already been in with him as well, so really nothing new other than no other tank mates and no sand on the bottom. He was quiet but ate on the evening of the move. Sunday he looked quiet and then Monday night I noticed the injury. Very quick to come up :crazy:

The wounds nasty so hope the esha med does the job.
Fingers crossed.
Please keep us all updated on his progress.
Did you notice if the wound had a white centre before it went green.

Wounds that are white on the edges and red in the center are most typically Aeromonas. Those that are red on the edges and white in the center are generally Columnaris. Both are gram negative bacteria. The best treatment for this is any sulfa antibiotic with trimetheprim. This can be put in the water and mixed with food -- if you can find Romet B use it.

Update on my plec is that the wound seems to be getting a little better, its less raised now but still appears to have red around the edges but not as angry looking and not looking so green in the middle. He's also got his appetite back which is good :hyper:

Many thanks for the help Wilder :good: will let you know when its completely gone :rolleyes:

Carry on with the med,
]Good luck.

Used Esha for a week and now stopped and just doing frequent small water changes. Red has now all gone and nice healthy tissue is growing. Pics make it look fuzzy white but its not at all and his eating is back to normal so I think he's on the way back to full health :hyper:

Attachments

• Vampire_getting_better.jpg
    Vampire_getting_better.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 23
Thats good news then.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back