Vacation Feeding?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish_face

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've had my tank for a while now, but wanted to know whats best for the fish when I go away. I will have someone to feed them, but in a worst case scenario, are the vacation blocks ok or is an autofeeder much better?

If I'm not mistaken you can probably go for a week without feeding your fish, after that, I'm not sure. Those cubes that you can buy can cause a bit of a mess.

Yeah, you can leave them without food for a week but not if they are young and you must get them used to it first (keep missing out days of feeding for a while before etc). If your tank is heavily planted or you have livebearers, you need not worry much - the fish will have something to eat while you're gone ;)

The feeding cubes are ok but they can cause your pH to rise and that can kill your fish.

The automatic feeders are fine but be shure to test them out cause they can get stuck or the food might pack down and get stuck or it may not feed the right amounts - also make sure you get a new set of batteries for it before you go!

I would still have a friend come over and check on them once or twice in case you happen to lose a fish while you are away. A decaying fish in a tank for a week will increase your ammonia levels which will just lead to more dead fish.

If you could find a person just to stop by maybe twice while you were gone you could skip the automatic feeder as well. Being fed even if it's only a couple times won't hurt them :thumbs:

fish face, if you are not too far from me I could come
and check them out while you are away. BTW I'm near Tonbridge.

Thanks guys, I have lots of people to look after them, but its good to have a back up plan :p Oh a thanks for the offer Wolf, i'm in Ashford so thats quite a treck, but cheers anyway :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back