V2 120 Nano Skimmer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Crazy fishes

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls, just a quick question to the forum. I purchased a V2 120 nano skimmer today and it sounds bloody aweful; I would liken it to pigs eating. I followed the instructions and have the levels all correct for "bedding it in" but that sound is going to make it really hard to sleep. Anyone know of a way to make the gurgling less intrusive??

Kindest regards

Joe

Mate

Got some bad news for you, the sound it makes is it skimming, and ya cant get it any quieter im affraid, i have my nano tank in another room cos its not quiet like it says on the V2 website.

As for set up ive not been able to find anything about setting it up correctly however, i would make sure that you have it so that the collar on the skimmer is where the bubbles are created this is whats working best for me.

Oh and on another point when you come to clean it and take it apart, when you come to put it back together dont push the grey nozzle all the way into the inlet hole on the front of the unit or you will have an almost impossible task of putting it back together.

Many thanks for the reply, most appreciated. I was reading that tiger had one as have many others and modified the skimmer so that it was quieter. I had a bloody aweful nights sleep last night as the #41#### thing was gurgling away. I think if there isn't a way to make it quiter I will switch it off over night. I know this is not ideal but I have the luxury of using a skimmer to suppliment filtration; the tank is running beautifully without one but I have a little excess of phytoplankton and DOCs.

Many thanks again and kindest regards

Joe

Joe

Im not running any filtration other than 5 kilos of live rock and my water stats are fine, the only mod i know is to put some tubing on the air inlet, i did that and tbh i didnt notice any difference.

Have yo been able to reduce the amount of micro bubbles in the tank

Hi Joe,

This skimmer is bloody noisy, however it does work really well.

One mod I have see a lot of people do is to attached an airline to the little hole it pulls air through. This can make it a lot quieter as I found with mine to get the skimmer working at its best this air hole was only just above the water surface and every time the water went over it it gurgled.

Micro bubbles I could never fix but they do die down once the skimmer has bedded in.

personally i would sell it and get the tunze nano doc 9002 skimmer, still noise, but more from the bubbles popping at the top It really is a superb skimmer

Thanks for the reply guys. I have tried the airtube mod and found it actually did very little in the way of noise reduction. It just seemed to change the pitch of the sound, and if I am honest, increased the amplitude. I have been running it for a few days now and it works amazingly well; already one and half cups has been skimmed off and I turn it off over night. I have the bubbles just at the level of the collar and it seems to work great, however I will see if I can get it to skim a little more on the dry side.

I think I will see how the tank goes over the next few months and decide if the skimmer is helping much or inadvertently causing problems.

Many thanks again for the replies

Kindest regards

Joe

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back