Uv Steriliser

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rorie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have the chance to get a UV filter for my tank. Do i want one?

I have heard really mixed reviews about these things. Some say they are the best thing ever, others say a waste of time.

I understand they help to make the water crystal clear? Do they help against all algae, or is it just green water it stops?

How will it effect my flow rate from my filter?

I have seen a lot of people using them around me with their pond pumps to clean the water out a little more and they say it helps a lot and say it kills all bacteria that is going out as well but to be honest I am still skeptical

It will only kill free floating algae, not necessary in my opinion, they just mask problems.

Algae?
Bacteria?
Dull water?

Use UV. It will sort ur 90% of your comman problems.
Easy and simple use. I use 50w on 100g. I got heavily over stocked plantend tank with 4x54w (4x20,000k) lights
But I don't even have to clean the glass.. tank is well clean and fish is extremely healthy.

Also u may know.. uv is not running out and cheap to buy. It will mask your problem for ever and ever.

Just change the bulbs every 6 months.

Algae is caused by ammonia, when you get green water, the UV will mask the actual problem, and a UV filter wont fix algae that is on the plants/substrate/glass etc, there aren't any species of bacteria that are present from water changes that will effect your fish, the only way that a disease could enter your tank is through a new fish that is diseased, a UV filter will do nothing towards this, just a waste of Power in my opinion.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back