UV light in canister filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jimwg

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My old faithful Marineland canister finally bit the dust after 20+ years (I saluted him as I put him in the dumpster "farewell loyal soldier") and I got a new Aquatop canister with a UV chamber. What do people think about these things? Is it actually good to have the light on all the time (or at all)?

Hi.
Tank lighting shouldn't be left for more than 12 hours a day, as all fish require periods of darkness. Leaving the light on always will harm the fish and algae will grow fast.
Having the light on in the day can help live plants grow, and will also establish a 'routine' for the fish.
:)

Hi.
Tank lighting shouldn't be left for more than 12 hours a day, as all fish require periods of darkness. Leaving the light on always will harm the fish and algae will grow fast.
Having the light on in the day can help live plants grow, and will also establish a 'routine' for the fish.
:)

I was asking about UV light in a canister chamber, the fish can't see it and that's a good thing.

My old faithful Marineland canister finally bit the dust after 20+ years (I saluted him as I put him in the dumpster "farewell loyal soldier") and I got a new Aquatop canister with a UV chamber. What do people think about these things? Is it actually good to have the light on all the time (or at all)?
I would think that a UV light would be somewhat counter-intuitive in a filter? UV lights are often used in drinking water filters to kill microorganisms, which would include bacteria such as the beneficial bacterial species we try so hard to get into our filters. I guess I would have to read up on how the filter functions to understand why the manufacturer would include a UV light in the filter.

I would think that a UV light would be somewhat counter-intuitive in a filter? UV lights are often used in drinking water filters to kill microorganisms, which would include bacteria such as the beneficial bacterial species we try so hard to get into our filters. I guess I would have to read up on how the filter functions to understand why the manufacturer would include a UV light in the filter.

The UV light is in a separate chamber than the biological filter media.

Regardless you may make a valid point though. The UV chamber is the first one the water goes through so while on it would impede nitrifying bacteria coming from what's beginning to grow in the gravel bed (or pre-sponge filters) that could help seed the bio media in the canister. Though I have a lot of bio media there and I assume the UV won't affect the ammonia or nitrite coming in from the tank, so nitrifiers would still grow in the canister.

Your choice really. UV lights aren't needed in indoor tanks so it won't make any noticeable difference. I do leave the one in my outdoor pond running 24/7. Be aware that the light tubes need replacing every 6 months (even if the manufacturers claim 12 months).

Since its going in to an established tank you may as well turn it on so you can judge for yourself if it makes any difference. After 6-9 months either replace the tube or turn it off depending on your findings.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back