Using established tank to set up new tank using sponge filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

ellamay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™m setting up a new tank for a betta, have had the sponge filter Iā€™ll be using in my established tank for a week now.

How long do I need to leave a new sponge filter in my established tank to get enough of the beneficial bacteria before moving it to my new tank and putting my betta in? I donā€™t want to take any risks with it so Iā€™m happy to wait as long as I need to.

ALSO, Iā€™ve used Fluval Plant & Shrimp Stratum Aquarium Planting Substrate. Iā€™ve read that nutrient rich substrates can cause spikes in ammonia. If so do I need to do lots of water changes or anything before moving the betta in? And how long do I need to keep an eye on this for before it settles?

Last edited:
Iā€™m setting up a new tank for a betta, have had the sponge filter Iā€™ll be using in my established tank for a week now.

How long do I need to leave a new sponge filter in my established tank to get enough of the beneficial bacteria before moving it to my new tank and putting my betta in? I donā€™t want to take any risks with it so Iā€™m happy to wait as long as I need to.
I would say at least 2 weeks, preferably longer.

ALSO, Iā€™ve used Fluval Plant & Shrimp Stratum Aquarium Planting Substrate. Iā€™ve read that nutrient rich substrates can cause spikes in ammonia. If so do I need to do lots of water changes or anything before moving the betta in? And how long do I need to keep an eye on this for before it settles?
Do you perform weekly water changes as of right now? I've heard of that substrate causing ammonia spikes, but I've never actually used it.

Soil substrates can certainly cause high ammonia; this is due to the organic matter decomposing. A commercial substrate may not have this issue, unless you can find advice somewhere that the Fluval does do this. Test the tank water for ammonia just to be certain.

Obviously plants are involved here, so you will have no ammonia issues from the lone betta. The ammonia a betta will produce can easily be taken up by the plants. You don't mention the tank size, but assuming it is over 5 gallons a lone betta will be fine.

I would say at least 2 weeks, preferably longer.

Do you perform weekly water changes as of right now? I've heard of that substrate causing ammonia spikes, but I've never actually used it.
I can do 3 weeks no problem.

In my current tank (105l/23gal) I do need water changes about every 2 weeks and that works well for me.

Soil substrates can certainly cause high ammonia; this is due to the organic matter decomposing. A commercial substrate may not have this issue, unless you can find advice somewhere that the Fluval does do this. Test the tank water for ammonia just to be certain.

Obviously plants are involved here, so you will have no ammonia issues from the lone betta. The ammonia a betta will produce can easily be taken up by the plants. You don't mention the tank size, but assuming it is over 5 gallons a lone betta will be fine.
Iā€™ll keep testing. It should be ok once Iā€™ve got my filter in though shouldnā€™t it?

Yes itā€™s a 5gal tank. Set up a week ago and just waiting for the filter to be ready to go in then he can move in to the tank.

Some people claim to have experienced ammonia spikes, but I didnā€™t when I used it. I usually plant heavily from the start so maybe the plants were able to absorb it.

Iā€™ll keep testing. It should be ok once Iā€™ve got my filter in though shouldnā€™t it?

Yes provided the Fluval does not have the ammonia issue, I doubt it does but never used it. If the plants are growing, you can forget "cycling" and filters frankly, as the plants will assimilate the ammonia from a single betta. Especially if you have some floating plants, they are fast growers. The sponge filter is really serving no purpose other than keeping the water clear (mechanical filtration); the "clean" water part (biological filtration) is done by the plants.

Some people claim to have experienced ammonia spikes, but I didnā€™t when I used it. I usually plant heavily from the start so maybe the plants were able to absorb it.
Ok good to know. Iā€™m planting it up this week.

Yes provided the Fluval does not have the ammonia issue, I doubt it does but never used it. If the plants are growing, you can forget "cycling" and filters frankly, as the plants will assimilate the ammonia from a single betta. Especially if you have some floating plants, they are fast growers. The sponge filter is really serving no purpose other than keeping the water clear (mechanical filtration); the "clean" water part (biological filtration) is done by the plants.
Iā€™ll keep a close eye on it.

Thatā€™s really interesting, I hadnā€™t really thought about it that way. Iā€™m guessing sponge filters arenā€™t really enough in tanks that donā€™t have real plants then.

Thatā€™s really interesting, I hadnā€™t really thought about it that way. Iā€™m guessing sponge filters arenā€™t really enough in tanks that donā€™t have real plants then.
Itā€™s not that sponges donā€™t offer enough filtration; rather, fast-growing plants (when there are enough) can render other types of filtration unnecessary. Of course, this depends on the bio-load. One betta, when not over-fed, will not produce an amount of waste that cannot be handled by plants alone in a densely-planted tank.

Sponge filters are about the best filter there is, but admittedly they are more effective in smaller tanks. I have used them on tanks up to 3-foot 40 gallon. Sponge, like foam and wool are excellent at removing microscopic particulate matter. And the sponge itself provides incredible surface area for bacteria. The water flow is minimal, which usually suits small fish in smaller tanks. So as a filter in a 5g, 10g, 20g, 30g even 40g tank, they are as good as it gets unless you need more water current for the fish.

The plant issue is something else. Aquatic plants need nitrogen, and the vast majority of our aquarium plants prefer ammonia/ammonium as their source of nitrogen. The faster-growing the plant species, the more ammonia/ammonium it will take up--and rapidly. Plants are faster at this than the nitrifying bacteria. So all else being equal, having live plants that are reasonably fast growing means the ammonia produced by the fish, decomposition, etc, will be rapidly taken up by plants. A second benefit with this is that plants use the ammonia/ammonium, and they do not produce nitrite in return. So that problem is non-existent. And with no nitrite, obviously nitrate is much less, sometimes even zero. Another benefit for all fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back