Useful Pinned Topics - Put In Top Category Of Foru

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

William

TFF Founder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking to tidy up the site a bit. Some of the pinned topics take up quite a bit of page space on the marine forums, does this bother you or is it fine to leave as is.

Would it be suitable to place the pinned topics in Appropriate subforums here: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showforum=52 . If there was a pinned topic index on each of the marine pages do you think the topics would be well viewed.

Would it be better to generate a new forum in the Saltwater category for specific FAQs (and also Species lists of saltwater fish.)

All replies appreciated.

In all honesty, I think a sub-catagory for pinned topics would be a great thing. It would clean up all the marine sections. Also, you could sort inside this thread by type of material. When you get two topics that are great and should be pinned, you can put them together, or just make sure that they are next to each other. Like in a progression. You could also set it up so that topics are in order from Basic needs to Advanced care stuff like SH's topic on coral fragging. I also think that it might encourage posting of fish specifics for marine, because the marine sepecies section up top is a little sparse. I think it would be a good Idea!!

In all honesty, I think a sub-catagory for pinned topics would be a great thing. It would clean up all the marine sections. Also, you could sort inside this thread by type of material. When you get two topics that are great and should be pinned, you can put them together, or just make sure that they are next to each other. Like in a progression. You could also set it up so that topics are in order from Basic needs to Advanced care stuff like SH's topic on coral fragging. I also think that it might encourage posting of fish specifics for marine, because the marine sepecies section up top is a little sparse. I think it would be a good Idea!!

From a newbie's view i'd say firstly that your running a fine forum, i've had a few questions since starting my tank and googled my questions, FF's has come up with most of my answers, i have used other forums but feel this place is special. To be honest if you can save space with the pinned lose em!! I'd rather ask
:D

I think a new forum with a FAQ section as well as an organized pinned topic area would be a great way to clean it up. I do think it needs to stay marine specific and in the marine section as many of the marine visitors never (or seldom) look through the other areas of the forums. I know I seldom have the time to browse everything and usually skim the marine section and move on. I also think an area to request a pinned topic or to generate a pinned topic would be a good addition to this new area.

Hi William....I've been trying to condense and eliminate some of the pinned topics over the past week and your suggestion is a good one. I DO think that one or two pins deserve to be left at the top of each forum, eg. Great Lakes thread on 'Wanting Nemo', members tanks pix or sig/post rules.

Adding an FAQ section under the Marine section would be great and I'd be happy to try and get all the pins off the other forums and centralize them there. I would have no problem either if you felt that the marine additions in the TFF Index were moved into the marine area as it's 'own' Marine TFF Index. It would centralize all marine topics to the lower half of the forum. Headings could include:

Fish
Inverts
Corals and Anemones
Macroalgaes

There was mention once of keeping a marine oddball section, but, not sure how that would work here. Eg, octopi and seahorse tanks. Maybe an Unusual Species tanks? Maybe left alone as is. I'll let others put input here. Perhaps even the main marine forum could have a DIY forum.

Anyway, Will..keep up the good work. Although I consider myself 50/50 FW/marine, I appreciate all your help in supporting the lower half of the forum site. Cheers. SH

While a marine oddball section would be awesome, I personally feel that something like this would be a great compromise as it would allow a place where info can be posted all in one place to save a bit of hunting around by those looking into things like seahorses, etc. It wouldn't eliminate the problem of unpinned, posted topics and trying to keep track of them, but it would be nothing but a fantastic help in terms of beginning research for those new to the hobby.

I personally agree with SH in regards to a couple of the pinned topics perhaps needing to stay as they are a generalised guide in response to common problems that should be read asap by those with limited knowledge regardless of if that was the info they were searching for or not. They are more likely to take use of it if it is right there while they are posting and in some of the pinned topic's cases, the question is most likely prevailant in their mind anyhow (like the aforementioned Nemo one).

At the end of the day though, it is your forum and therefore your choice and I'm sure you will make a decision you see fit based on responses and what you feel is right so I'm cool either way :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back