Urgent Please Help!

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Mar 27, 2007
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Canada
Well I got my job at my (not so) LFS ad today was my first day. We have a beautiful sleep goby in right now but unfortunatly it was dropped off to us from an unknown customer. Well, the species exactly is Moresby Gudgeon according to our fish bible (lol). I checked the species on fishbase but no match. The closest I found was Mogurnda oligolepis, which looks exactly what we have so I believe I have found an accurate species ID. However there seems to be no information out there on the web so I was wondering if anybody has some information on them. They're an Australlian species and apparently they are endangered, which brings to question how the gent who brought us the fish obtained it.

Basically I was wondering what do they eat? I found that they prefer low to no current and are found near the bottom of the river beds near dead wood and roots. However I don't know what they eat. Apparently we're feeding it frozen bloodworms, and feeder guppies. It's eaten the bloodworms, but I've never seen it eat the feeders.

My work also want's to get rid of it, and if it doesn't eat small fish I'd love to have it as the centre piece of my 55gallon community.
 
Not in the one at my store, but if you go to fishbase.com and type in Mogurnda oligolepis you'll see the pic.
 
Not in the one at my store, but if you go to fishbase.com and type in Mogurnda oligolepis you'll see the pic.

Not 100% but I'm sure Colin has mentioned these before? if not it was something sounding very similar.
 
Could it be another type of Morgurnda - a more common one? Such as Morgurnda adspersa (LINK) or Mogurnda mogurnda?
 
Unfortunatly I don't think so. The common name we found in our fish bible was "Moresby Gudgeon", and the closest thing I could find online was Mogurnda oligolepis, but I don't even think that's the exact species.

I will use some of that information and give it to my boss thanks for that. Atleast I know it's probably a predatory species.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top