🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

bae1994

Fact. Bears eat beets. Bears.Beets.Battlestar
Reaction score
hi my sister just walked in with a newt

after a quick search he/she is a common uk newt
NewtWorm.jpg

now were very far from any ponds or rivers except ours wich is raised

so ive got a 5 gallon added a rock pile and filled with some water from my tropical tank so its not freezinn ccold cemical tap water ive added a very small amount of frozen bloodworms in the water and a tiny bit on the rock

what should i do to

one to keep him going through the night

and two one can i return him to the wild

also if so were eg lake or river bank

thanks hes not a crested newt which is what theyre saying about tho

Hi that's a smooth newt, a very common newt in the UK. Years ago I kept them when I found some in a nature reserve, naughty I know and would never do it again, they lived in a dark damp place on my balcony and thrived with all the creepy crawlies out there, what you are doing is fine at the mo but ask your sis where she found it and return it when you can.

Yep I know you said he was a smooth newt but these sites will probably give you some info on what to do with him if you don't want to keep him.

I would have thought the newt would need colder temperatures, because lets face it the UK is cold, so the water will be cold. I have newts (Chinese fire bellied newts) and their maximum temperature is around 24 degrees. www.caudata.org is a site dedictated to newts and salamanders; they might have more info over there.

hi my sister just walked in with a newt

after a quick search he/she is a common uk newt
NewtWorm.jpg

now were very far from any ponds or rivers except ours wich is raised

so ive got a 5 gallon added a rock pile and filled with some water from my tropical tank so its not freezinn ccold cemical tap water ive added a very small amount of frozen bloodworms in the water and a tiny bit on the rock

what should i do to

one to keep him going through the night

and two one can i return him to the wild

also if so were eg lake or river bank

just a warning. this newt does not live in water. if you keep it, its best in a terrarium tank. better still, let it go :good:

yeah ive let him/her go

Most reactions

Back