Urgent Need For A Break!

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
Do you also (sometimes) just feel you need a break..... I have twice given up completely (in 40 years)... sold everything I had for around 1$ per tank (once had about 300 tanks & sold for 300$).... the 2nd time I had 150 tanks & sold for 150$.....(heaters, filters, tanks, lights, pumps, stands & everything connected to the hobby)

6 months later, I'll start from scratch and progressively build up from sales of fish etc. I'm currently in "give up" mode again..... I need a break of at least 3 months...... This time however... I won't get rid of anything.... I'll just (have to) maintain what I've got at low profile untill the urge gets back.
 
Oh yeah lol. I will definitely have my tanks going on 'autopilot' when I return to university next year! I plan to work on them every summer, then shift them to the back burner every school season. In fact, since I bought so many tanks so close together when I started out a few months ago, I already have taken to focusing on perfecting one setup, while leaving all the others in 'maintenance mode'.

Just don't sell off all that equipment lol-- It's expensive to get it back!
 
I totally understand the need for a break. I've been breeding angels for years, the nightly water changes, bbs hatchery, fry sorting & moving and all the rest involved with breeding takes a lot of time. I've backed off on breeding angels, haven't pulled a spawn in about 8 months, family issues along with a cutthroat market meant it was time to cut back in some manner.

I still have everything set up, have been getting a variety of fish in from different sources to keep busy with auctions, stay busy with the club, and am thinking about getting more into breeding dwarf cichlids if the time is right. Understock your tanks for a while, kick back, and enjoy other facets of fishkeeping, there are plenty, and these often respark interest. I have a couple hours drive to an auction tomorrow, some of there members are working with dwarfs pretty heavily, time to gain some knowledge, and perhaps some fish.
 
I have definitely done that - completely neglected the fish and essentially used the fishtank as a glorified table for storing crap on top of!

Sometimes there's only so much enthusiasm to go around. It'll come back :) but I agree not to sell everything this time! Not really very ecconomical lol ;)
 
At one point I had near 30 tanks of angels and their fry just like Tolak. Things got old quick, along with life issues, and simply shut down. That was a few years back and now I have a whopping 3 tanks running. All dedicated to Lake Tang and Victoria.
 
I have sold 5 tanks in last coupe of months and pretty much all my fish bar my favourites. I spend less time at the moment looking at them and even the fish shop commented ho they hgve seen me less recently.

I;ve kept them 18 yrs and have a few marriage/financial stresses which I thinnk are taking over a little

I'll be back into it as will you Ludwig!! :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top