Urgent Help!

Sasha

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
:sad: My balloon molly, Mindy, isn't acting like herself. I noticed her laying on the bottom of the tank. Her fins are erect and high, but there are no wounds or any signs of disease. She's eating well but doesn't have her usual spunk. As soon as I noticed her on the bottom, I quickly tested the chemicals.

Ammonia is 0
Nirite is .3
pH is at 7.0

I can't think of anything else that could be related to her odd behavior. She isn't pregnant and her body looks perfectly fine. Her brething is normal too. Any suggestions that could help me with her problem?

Resting maybe? Is she being bullied by any other tank mates? and does she have a few hiding places just incase she is being bullied?

:( The tank is supplied with a hallow log that the fish can swim under and hide. There is also a corner which has a few tall plants that provides shade. I haven't seen any other fish bulling her. She's usually at the surface and is the main female in the tank. When she eats, she will sometimes chase the other tankmates away and they don't mess with her. Any more suggestions?

Your nitrite level should be 0 Is this a new tank or is there any other reason for the nitrite level?

I had this tank for about a year now. My test kit is called Tetra Test Laborett. The nitrite card doesn't have the number 0. It only goes from <0.3 mg/l to 3.3-33 mg/l. I have no idea what this means so I'm justing reading what the nitrite card says. She moved to the surface, but looks unbalanced. She isn't swimming very stable and it breaks my heart. :-(

Might be swim bladder trouble if she doesn't keep stable - either from injury or bacterial infection. COuld also be constipation from overfeeding. Is she still eating well?

When it's feeding time, she's always the first to eat. After several accidents with overfeeding, I now feed my fish three times a week- Monday, Wednesday and Friday. She ate yesterday as she normally does. I give the fish frozen food including bloodworms and brine shimp as well as a few flakes. I also add salt into the water every week when I do my water change. She's still at the top and her belly doesn't look abnormal. What are indications of swim bladder trouble?

The main symtom of swim bladder is the that the fish is swimming abnormbally, either upside down or is lying at the bottom of tank or floating at the top of the tank. Sometimes, the fish will be too weak to swim and will just float around the tank with the current until it gets stuck to the filter (like Mindy). The reason this happens is becuase the air in the swim bladder is either too much or too little. That means it can't keep it's place in the water column. At least that's what I read. The treatment for swim bladder is to isolate the fish in shallow water and feed it mashed peas. Also add 1 tsp. salt per gallon of water.

I have a two gallon tank that currently is housing plants, but serves as a hospital tank. Will transporting her only add stress? I hate to see her like this and I really want to help her. How does her swim bladder get affected? Is it the water quality? I keep my tank as clean as can be and try to balance the chemicals.

You could take a gallon of your water out of the 29 gallon and mix it with a gallon of tap water and then I think it would be ok. I think you should move her because even though I don't know, swim bladder might be contagious and if your other fish got it the nthat would be bad.

:-( My little Mindy! She's gone and I feel heartbroken. My fat girl is no more with me. She was my favorite in the whole tank and I really miss her. I still have no clue of how she passed away, besides getting caught in the filter and nearly getting her eye pulled out. It was horrible! I could feel tears welling up in my eyes at the sight of her stuck to the filter. A similar experience happened to me not too long ago. It was with my black balloon molly, Luna. She sadly got caught in the filter one night and I cried about her death. She was the cutest litle fish I ever owned, and now Mindy's goneb too. I miss them both very much. :-(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back