Upgrading tank - what to do?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BMBLSAD

Reaction score
Hi all
I have a single oranda goldfish in a 15 gallon cycled, planted tank. I want to set up a 30-40 gallon tank to shift him over to for more room (and maybe a snail or butterfly loach).

If I move the filter (Aquaclear 70) to the new tank along with the substrate (Carib Eco-Complete) and the plants, can I put my fish in right away? or would I need to re-cycle it first? Hoping that by moving the filter and substrate, I can make the "cycle" continue. I have an API and will test the water daily.

If this is a bad idea, thing I think it means buying a new filter for the 30-40, adding new substrate and keeping him in the 15 while I wait. Right?

Hoping to learn from those who have upgraded to a new, larger tank.
Thanks!
Beth

Just move the contents of the old tank (gravel, filter, ornaments, plants, water, etc) into the new one and top it up with dechlorinated water. Put the filter on it and your done.

If you water change and gravel clean the old tank each day for 2 or 3 days before you move it, the substrate will be cleaner and you won't end up with gunk everywhere.

Exactly what Colin said. Be sure to monitor water quality afterwards An established AC70 will easily handle an 40 gallon tank.

Hi all
I have a single oranda goldfish in a 15 gallon cycled, planted tank. I want to set up a 30-40 gallon tank to shift him over to for more room (and maybe a snail or butterfly loach).

If I move the filter (Aquaclear 70) to the new tank along with the substrate (Carib Eco-Complete) and the plants, can I put my fish in right away? or would I need to re-cycle it first? Hoping that by moving the filter and substrate, I can make the "cycle" continue. I have an API and will test the water daily.

If this is a bad idea, thing I think it means buying a new filter for the 30-40 gallon tank, adding new substrate and keeping him in the 15 while I wait. Right?

Hoping to learn from those who have upgraded to a new, larger tank.
Thanks!
Beth

Thank you for what you said was very helpful, I had trouble with the same problem

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back